- Fullscreen & windowed mode
- 32-bit resolution & 32-bit textures
- High resolution textures (but not in shape of mipmaps unfortunately).
- Single races
- Profiles & saving/loading settings.
- Music playback from CD
- Time Trial: Normal, Reversed, Mirror, Reversed-Mirror
- Stunt Arena
- Developer's Mode: Lights-, Instances- & Object edit mode tested.
- MP3 Playback
- Custom features
- Multi-player, TCP/IP and through lobby: Battle Tag and Single Race.
What does not
Only minor things, no dealbreakers:
- Re-Volt freezes when attempting to close a directplay session (after finishing multi-player game, but only when you are the one hosting).
- Changing video options crashes the game when attempting to apply the changes (changing video resolutions in the settings.ini and through commandline works fine though).
- Part of the HUD (Spru.bmp related) is not rendered.
- CD Music is restarted from beginning when pausing the game and resuming afterwards.
- CD Music plays intro music instead of track music when a dialog such as the screenshot save dialog appear.
- Re-Volt hangs when loading the music from CD-ROM (but when no CD-ROM inserted the game loads levels very fast).
- (Developers mode) in-game cursor disappears at certain spots.(fixed 1.4-rc2)
- Mipmaps of higher resolution than standard does not render properly making the end result look pixelated.
What was not tested
Multi-player via Modem connection and IPX.
Version 1.0 installed straight from official CD-ROM + the DirectX 6.1 runtime included there. Thereafter applied Re-Volt 1.2 beta patch + latest 1.2 Alpha 12.0107 patch has been applied (latest patch available as of January 21th 2012). Ran game for 52 minutes straight in the first test but I actually use Re-Volt daily as I am a level designer. Spent the time in the test completing a championship, the stunt arena, some single races, some time trials, testing Developers Mode and a racing a custom track. No stability issues or unpredictable crashes. I am using the following video settings: http://pastebin.com/UmyTYxhc The test has been performed using the following commandline applied to Re-Volt: -window -res 800 600 32. Re-Volt works fine in full screen mode too - but I recommend that you use the native resolution of your monitor as other Wine programs are affected by a resolution change, even after Re-Volt has closed and resolution goes back to normal. Install directplay dlls from winetricks in order to get multi-player working (See HOWTOs).Be aware of permissions in the Re-Volt directory, I had several issues because permissions wasn't right.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Sep 08 2013||1.7.1||Yes||Yes||Gold||Bastian|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||May 19 2013||1.5.30||Yes||Yes||Gold||Jackie Ben|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Apr 19 2013||1.5.28||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Bastian|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Aug 19 2012||1.5.11||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Bastian|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||May 16 2012||1.5.4||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Jackie Ben|
Playing Re-Volt in Multi-player online and/or over LAN with Wine only requires native Directplay libraries from Winetricks. This guide will cover enabling these libraries. For further information on installing Winetricks, see:
This guide also covers installing RV House, the most popular meeting spot/lobby for Re-Volt online players. Users interested in LAN multi-player only may as well skip the "Installing RV House" section.
*** Enabling the Directplay Libraries in Winetricks ***
- Assuming that you already have winetricks installed, open the terminal.
- type 'winetricks directplay'.
- Winetricks should be downloading and installing the required directplay libaries now.
- When finished, type 'winecfg'. This will open the Wine configuration dialog.
- Go to the Libraries tab. The following overrides should now exist:
If installation was successful you should be able to start Re-Volt -> go to Start Race -> Multi-player -> Start Game and get to the next menu without any error. If you do, make sure that the Network settings are correctly to TCP/IP.
*** Installing RV House ***
RV House is a meeting spot where all Re-Volt online games are held. It works in a similar fashion to MSN Zone and Gamespy Arcade but is created for Re-Volt only. I highly encourage any Re-Volt fan to install this application if he/she wish to meet the online community.
- Download the latest version of RV House FOR WINDOWS (The Linux release is outdated and incompatible with Re-Volt over Wine).
- Run the installer (rv_house_setup.exe) and go through the wizard.
- With default settings RV House should now be installed in .wine\drive_c\Program Files\RV House\ under the name rv_house.exe.
- You need to register an account at Re-Volt Zone in order to use RV House. It is possible to register straight from RV House and the registration will only require an e-mail adress.
Once you have logged in you are ready to chat and play.
NOTE: Re-Volt requires the ports 47624 (TCP) and 2300-2400 (TCP & UDP) to be open in order to play over the internet. Make sure that your router and firewall are configured properly!
NOTE: Other players likely use the latest version of Re-Volt 1.2 as it fixes a lot of issues in Multi-player games. Some rooms will not be compatible with older versions of Re-Volt.
Tested with Wine 1.3.36 - 1.5.28 (only TCP/IP Multi-player & Multi-player through RV House 0.93.4).
This HOWTO will explain how to install Re-Volt from the Retail CD.
- Insert the Re-Volt CD into your CD-ROM drive.
- Browse to the CD and start SETUP.EXE. Re-Volt Setup should run with no issues (tested with Windows XP and Windows 7 Compatibility).
- After SETUP.EXE has loaded Re-Volt Setup you are presented by a dialog. Click Next, Yes, Next, Next, Next, Next and the installation should begin.
- After Re-Volt Setup has finished copying files it will ask if you want to install DirectX 6.1. This should not be necessary but does not harm either - press no.
- Re-Volt Setup informs you that Setup is complete. Uncheck all checkboxes in the last dialog and press Finish.
- This step is technically only necessary if you plan to patch Re-Volt to a newer version (which is highly recommended): Go to .wine\drive_c\Program Files\Acclaim Entertainment\Re-Volt\strings and set permissions for the owner to read & write.
Re-Volt is now installed in version 1.00.If you are a Gnome user you can press Super and search for "Re-Volt" to find the application and its associated uninstaller.
NOTE: After installation it is recommended to patch Re-Volt to the latest version of Re-Volt 1.2. See: Installing the Re-Volt 1.2 patch
NOTE: Multi-player will not work without native Directplay libraries from Winetricks (that is the case for TCP/IP at least). See: Re-Volt Multi-player with Wine