|License:||Free to use|
|Latest Wine Version Tested:||1.7.1|
Maintainers: About Maintainership
No maintainers. Volunteer today!
- Fullscreen & windowed mode
- High resolution textures & mipmaps.
- Single races - Profiles & saving/loading settings.
- SFX - MP3 Playback
- Custom track features
- Developer's Mode (Instances Edit Mode tested)
- CD Music Playback (Emulated using cdemu)
What does not
I haven't encountered a single thing not working yet.
What was not tested
- Online Multi-player
Version 1.0 installed straight from official CD-ROM. I thereafter applied the 1.2 Alpha 13.0815 patch (latest patch available as of September 8th 2013). Install directplay dlls from winetricks in order to get multi-player working (See HOWTOs). Tested with Intel HD4000 and Intel Ironlake Graphics.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Arch Linux x86_64||Sep 08 2013||1.7.1||Yes||Yes||Gold||Bastian|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||May 19 2013||1.5.30||Yes||Yes||Gold||Jackie Ben|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Apr 19 2013||1.5.28||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Bastian|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Aug 19 2012||1.5.11||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Bastian|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||May 16 2012||1.5.4||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Jackie Ben|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|6847||DirectPlay metabug. Implement dplay tcp/ip provider.||NEW||View|
|29869||Re-Volt is missing an HUD element||CLOSED||FIXED||View|
Playing Re-Volt in Multi-player online and/or over LAN with Wine only requires native Directplay libraries from Winetricks. This guide will cover enabling these libraries. For further information on installing Winetricks, see:
This guide also covers installing RV House, the most popular meeting spot/lobby for Re-Volt online players. Users interested in LAN multi-player only may as well skip the "Installing RV House" section.
*** Enabling the Directplay Libraries in Winetricks ***
- Assuming that you already have winetricks installed, open the terminal.
- type 'winetricks directplay'.
- Winetricks should be downloading and installing the required directplay libaries now.
- When finished, type 'winecfg'. This will open the Wine configuration dialog.
- Go to the Libraries tab. The following overrides should now exist:
If installation was successful you should be able to start Re-Volt -> go to Start Race -> Multi-player -> Start Game and get to the next menu without any error. If you do, make sure that the Network settings are correctly to TCP/IP.
*** Installing RV House ***
RV House is a meeting spot where all Re-Volt online games are held. It works in a similar fashion to MSN Zone and Gamespy Arcade but is created for Re-Volt only. I highly encourage any Re-Volt fan to install this application if he/she wish to meet the online community.
- Download the latest version of RV House FOR WINDOWS (The Linux release is outdated and incompatible with Re-Volt over Wine).
- Run the installer (rv_house_setup.exe) and go through the wizard.
- With default settings RV House should now be installed in .wine\drive_c\Program Files\RV House\ under the name rv_house.exe.
- You need to register an account at Re-Volt Zone in order to use RV House. It is possible to register straight from RV House and the registration will only require an e-mail adress.
Once you have logged in you are ready to chat and play.
NOTE: Re-Volt requires the ports 47624 (TCP) and 2300-2400 (TCP & UDP) to be open in order to play over the internet. Make sure that your router and firewall are configured properly!
NOTE: Other players likely use the latest version of Re-Volt 1.2 as it fixes a lot of issues in Multi-player games. Some rooms will not be compatible with older versions of Re-Volt.
Tested with Wine 1.3.36 - 1.5.28 (only TCP/IP Multi-player & Multi-player through RV House 0.93.4).
This HOWTO will explain how to install Re-Volt from the Retail CD.
- Insert the Re-Volt CD into your CD-ROM drive.
- Browse to the CD and start SETUP.EXE. Re-Volt Setup should run with no issues (tested with Windows XP and Windows 7 Compatibility).
- After SETUP.EXE has loaded Re-Volt Setup you are presented by a dialog. Click Next, Yes, Next, Next, Next, Next and the installation should begin.
- After Re-Volt Setup has finished copying files it will ask if you want to install DirectX 6.1. This should not be necessary but does not harm either - press no.
- Re-Volt Setup informs you that Setup is complete. Uncheck all checkboxes in the last dialog and press Finish.
- This step is technically only necessary if you plan to patch Re-Volt to a newer version (which is highly recommended): Go to .wine\drive_c\Program Files\Acclaim Entertainment\Re-Volt\strings and set permissions for the owner to read & write.
Re-Volt is now installed in version 1.00.If you are a Gnome user you can press Super and search for "Re-Volt" to find the application and its associated uninstaller.
NOTE: After installation it is recommended to patch Re-Volt to the latest version of Re-Volt 1.2. See: Installing the Re-Volt 1.2 patch
NOTE: Multi-player will not work without native Directplay libraries from Winetricks (that is the case for TCP/IP at least). See: Re-Volt Multi-player with Wine
Comments for this application have been disabled because there are no maintainers.