- Make music
- Open files
- Save files
- Sibelius 6 Sounds Essentials
What does not
- Sibelius 7 Sounds: They have same problems to load (the "Lite" version works same times, but not always).
What was not tested
- A very detailed score.
Important! 1. Install 2. Run (the first time will run perfectly) 3. Go to File/Preferences/Other and on the section "When Sibelius Starts" uncheck: Play music, Show Quick Start dialog, Show Quick Start again after closing last score, Check for updates every 90 days. If you don't do this, the next time you try to open Sibelius will crash, and you will have to reinstall it. I use Wine 1.7.22 (emulating Windows XP) on Fedora 20 Xfce
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Manjaro Linux||May 04 2017||2.6||Yes||Yes||Platinum||sapo|
|Show||Debian GNU/kFreeBSD 7.x "Wheezy"||Dec 02 2014||1.7.32||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Lord_Midnight|
|Current||Fedora 20||Aug 06 2014||1.7.22||Yes||Yes||Silver||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 13.10 "Saucy" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 16 2013||1.6.1||Yes||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|
|Show||Mepis 11.0||Dec 15 2012||1.5.15||Yes||No||Garbage||Magnus Johansson|
NB: This was still found through a somewhat hit-and-miss process, so if you have any notes or spot any unnecessary steps, please let me know.
1) Install wine and wine-dev
2) Get winetricks: in terminal enter 'wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks' (without quotes, and assume the same for all terminal entries below)
3) In terminal enter 'sh winetricks' and select:
(This is one step where there may be some bloat. dotnet20 and the last three are definitely needed, the rest I install to be safe).
4) Install wineasio. At time of writing, it's not in the repositories, so the source is available here http://sourceforge.net/projects/wineasio
You will need the file asio.h from the Steinberg Asio SDK, found at http://www.steinberg.net/en/company/3rd_party_developer/sdk_download_portal/asio_sdk.html (requires a free account to download).
Just unzip the SDK, copy "asio.h" from the folder "common" into the wineasio source folder, then get on with installing it.
You will also need the Jack audio server and its development files from the repositories, or the install will fail.
6) Enter the Sibelius 5 DVD, and find the location of the installer msi - on mine it's /Windows/Sibelius/SibeliusEnglishInstaller.msi
In terminal enter 'wine msiexec /i /SibeliusEnglishInstaller.msi and wait for install.
7) Find the "Other Applications" section of the Sibelius DVD and install Sibelius Sounds Essentials (SSE_Setup.exe)
8) I recommend changing Wine's Audio driver to "OSS" using winecfg. It seems more stable to me.
A possible problem you might have: Once started, I heard no sound, but clicking on "Play - > Playback Devices" once a score was loaded, and then selecting "Audio Engine Options" seemed to fix this. That was kind of weird, as I didn't change any options.
Finally, to those who are having C++ or C runtime errors - this is something to do with the vcrun libraries.
I don't know how to remove them, so you're going to have to uninstall wine, delete your .wine folder (in "/home/[user]" - it's hidden), and start all over again.
--WARNING! DELETING THE .WINE FOLDER WILL REMOVE ALL YOUR CURRENTLY INSTALLED WINE APPLICATIONS--
Sorry... I ran into this issue though, and starting over worked out for me.
Finally, I hope it works for you!