Good Old Games version
1. Single-player seems to play perfectly, ran a couple of turns and it functioned correctly.
2. Multiplayer hotseat functions correctly (as it does not rely on DIRECTPLAY)
What does not
1. Multiplayer host does not function, event after having installed "directplay" using winetricks, the program just freezes on the screen when attempting to host
2. Multiplayer options that rely on DIRECTPLAY (other than IP/TCP connection)
3. Multiplayer join IP/TCP can never find a game even when on the same network
4.On a dual monitor setup, like mine, the mouse pointer is no longer locked by Alpha Centauri, therefore meaning that the mouse would randomly leave to another monitor when trying to scroll to the right with one's mouse.
3. To allow multiplayer join IP/TCP I installed "directlplay" using "winetricks directplay", this allowed the join button to work; however, this did not allow the other "directplay" functions to work or host to work
4. This post: https://superuser.com/question..., on superuser seems like a good place to start
What was not tested
1. Map Building
Installed Microsoft Fonts with (As I always do before running any program):
sudo apt-get --reinstall install ttf-mscorefonts-installer
Went to ~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/GOG Games/Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri/ and added DirectDraw=0 to the end, which is the exact same as Windows so no complaints there. This did cause some problems for me on two monitors as the start-up movie doesn't play at 1920x1080 it remained at the original resolution, this meant that the resolution changed, meaning the monitors both automatically turned on and off until I reached the start-up screen, I encountered similar issues with Windows though so I would not write this as being bad. Much Like in Windows 10, and specifically due to my larger monitor size, sometimes text is drawn in a way not intentionally written, or sometimes an image does not appear to be the full size, but instead smaller, with the text growing to the correct size, leaving the image distant.
Also, like Windows 10, due to the larger 1080p resolution (specifically wider resolution), the bottom left and right of the screen are never utilized correctly and always appear to be solidly black.
|Ubuntu 22.04 "Jammy" (+ variants like Kubuntu)
|Dec 26 2022
|Ubuntu 20.10 "Groovy" (+ variants like Kubuntu)
|Apr 11 2021
|Arch Linux x86_64
|Sep 13 2020
|Sep 13 2019
|Arch Linux x86_64
|Jun 18 2018