- SKSE loader works out of the box.
- DLC. (This includes Dawnguard, Dragonborn and mods through ESP files)
- Underwater looks normal.
What does not
- Alt-tabbing renders the game in an unusable state. You will not be able to alt-tab back. On Windows alt-tabbing never worked good for the game also anyways.
- Shutting down the game makes the game just lock up. You need to kill it by sending ALT+F4 to it or with something like pkill.
- The load times are pretty ridiculous, even when placing the game on an EXT4 partition. It doesn't matter if you launch the game with SKSE. Even when loading a cached session, it takes 30+ seconds while on Windows it takes like 5 seconds. This is very annoying...
What was not tested
- The game was installed on Windows and later moved to Linux, so I don't know if the installer works, but I think it will.
This was tested on Debian 8 XFCE. I also tested the game on Linux Mint Cinnamon and MATE. The game works, but DLC and SKSE don't, which is a major problem for me. I don't use Steam for the game. Unfortunately Skyrim is pretty nasty as it requires a standard .ini file and registry settings. Hereby I will provide the registry keys for anyone who could use it: Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Bethesda Softworks\Skyrim] "Installed Path"="[Absolute path to your Skyrim folder]" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Bethesda Softworks\Skyrim] "Installed Path"="[Absolute path to your Skyrim folder]" It is very important that these paths end with a '/'. Otherwise this won't work. Silver because of the ridiculous loading times and no alt-tabbing, even freezing on exit! If you get past all of this though, the game is alright on Linux.
|Distribution||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Rating||Submitter|
|Current||Debian GNU/Linux 8.x "Jessie" x86_64||Feb 19 2017||2.0||N/A||Yes||Silver||Centrino|
|Show||Ubuntu 16.10 "Yakkety" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Feb 04 2017||2.0||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Alexander Yakovlev|
|Show||Linux Mint 18.1||Jan 20 2017||2.0-rc5||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Geoffry Lancaster-Castle|
|Show||Linux Mint 18.1||Jan 08 2017||2.0-rc3||Yes||Yes||Platinum||evude8|
|Show||Fedora 25 x86_64||Dec 09 2016||1.9.23||Yes||Yes||Gold||Federico Guerra|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|11674||Dual-core unsupported in WoW and SC2||STAGED||View|
|22053||Steam games crash on startup if in-game community is not disabled (gcc bug)||RESOLVED||NOTOURBUG||View|
|28282||Sound constantly crackling in lot of games||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|29067||Skyrim crashes during game intro||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|30123||Mouse pointer is confined in a box lesser than the full screen||REOPENED||View|
|30981||Skyrim: Keys "stick" occasionally||NEW||View|
|30984||Some keys do not work in different games (Trine, Skyrim, Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Star Trek Online, Gothic 2)||NEW||View|
|32576||Skyrim doesn't display in-game content (Mesa built without floating-point texture support)||RESOLVED||NOTOURBUG||View|
|34041||Skyrim (Steam) hangup on quit||NEW||View|
|36059||Multiple Steam games fail to install DirectX runtime prerequisite, resulting in repeated install attempt on startup ('xinput1_3.dll' locked by client)||STAGED||View|
|37508||Some Bethesda games sometimes freeze during gameplay||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|37995||Mouse jittering when steam overlay is enabled||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|38211||Skyrim: freezes on opening screen||UNCONFIRMED||View|
Go to your home folder and "My Games"->"Skyrim"
Open the "SkyrimPrefs.ini" file.
Find the lines where you see "bFull Screen", "iSize H" and "iSize W"
and change their values to your desired resolution.
To fix crackling and choppy sound with Pulseaudio:
Possible fix 0:
run in some terminal:
while true; do pasuspender sleep 0.02; sleep 60; done
This finally prevents buffer underruns and the sound is perfect then.
Possible fix 1:
Make sure your realtime kit (rt-kit) is installed and functional so it can assign pulseaudio realtime priority. The kernel config CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED needs to be off for this (see here).
Possible fix 2:
Setting SndQueueMax to 15 (default is 10), see here:
If you cannot see underwater (water is solid green):
Edit SkyrimPrefs.ini in your 'My Games\Skyrim' directory and in the [Imagespace] section set bDoDepthOfField=0 and iRadialBlurLevel=0
This is a game bug, not a Wine issue!
Stuck at main screen
Some mods change the fonts in Skyrim and sometimes that ends in wine not showing up the menu of Skyrim. Simple fix is to remove fontconfig.txt in Data/Interface.Crashes, texture bugs etc..
Remember, this is a Bethesda game, a few bugs happen for Windows users too, so blaming wine might not be justified. Please leave comments and bug reports, especially if things that used to work suddenly break.
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
- RE: bDeferredShadows by Federico Guerra on Saturday December 31st 2016, 7:33
- RE: by Josep on Tuesday August 2nd 2016, 18:47
- RE: Silent roll causes total freeze by Kate on Wednesday May 11th 2016, 21:57
- RE: Sluggish when NPC's are around by Michael on Tuesday January 26th 2016, 14:06
- RE: Hybrid graphics (Optimus Intel FB, nVidia 3D accelerator) missing textures by Sean Young on Sunday January 24th 2016, 17:26
- RE: No voices: any fix for this? by Matt on Monday November 2nd 2015, 19:44
- RE: No voices: any fix for this? by Michael on Thursday November 5th 2015, 14:26
- RE: No voices: any fix for this? by Denis on Tuesday November 10th 2015, 6:22
- RE: No voices: any fix for this? by Vlad on Monday April 11th 2016, 22:56
- RE: Graphical glitch by Reinhard on Saturday January 3rd 2015, 11:40
- RE: Ubuntu 14.04, WINE 1.7.19, Skyrim hangs on exit to desktop by Rosanne on Sunday August 24th 2014, 11:54
- RE: Ubuntu 14.04, WINE 1.7.19, Skyrim hangs on exit to desktop by LinuxSupahFly on Wednesday August 27th 2014, 11:23
- RE: player walks without pressing any key by Sam Welch on Wednesday July 23rd 2014, 20:18
- RE: player walks without pressing any key by Conner on Saturday August 2nd 2014, 1:51
- RE: player walks without pressing any key by Mariano on Friday January 9th 2015, 5:51
- RE: player walks without pressing any key by Mariano on Friday January 9th 2015, 5:53
- RE: player walks without pressing any key by Reinhard on Friday January 9th 2015, 11:02
- RE: player walks without pressing any key by Mariano on Friday January 9th 2015, 11:32
- RE: player walks without pressing any key by Ezra on Saturday February 7th 2015, 14:56
- RE: player walks without pressing any key by Anthony Ruth on Thursday September 17th 2015, 20:05