The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is an open world action role-playing video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls series, following The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
- Gameplay, L38 Thief, Skyrim Update 6
- those simple, yet wonderful GFX, even on actually Lower End Systems (see below). Its nice to see the development of the Engine with, to me, totally new additions, being an honest admirer of Bethesdas Fallout Titles and DLCs. The Look and Feel is quite similar to the one of F3 and FNV, even the totally Random Crashes that haunted the (wonderful) F3 experience and to a way lesser extent FNV, "feel" the same for Skyrim, i think most of the folks, no matter what OS, that know the games, will agree to this.
Though these random crashes are not even close to occuring as often as in Fallout 3. (One week of excessive Gameplay, like 60 hours, maybe 7-10 Lockups)
What does not
- when playing in Virtual Desktop, Alt-Tabbing is a nuisance, make sure to hit the ALT and/or SHIFT key at least once, it might "soft lock" in the process of tabbing, same for the ctrl key. The Fullscreen Window (using the .ini Setting works just fine!) seems to "grab and catch" the mousepointer and not release it, but this also is just a question of patience, at least on my KDE Plasma i can wildly alt-tab between Firefox and other open Windows to release the pointer of TESV.exe's grasp! These issues never occured to me in non-VirtualDesktop Fullscreen, problem with the latter is: the game pauses when tabbed out, somewhat annoying when waiting 24h+-
- aforementioned TESV.exe is a well chosen killall target, Random Freezes occur in both, 1.3.37 and the 1.4 RCs
- often got stuck after intro, fixable with chmodding/deleting the intro file
- console doesnt seem to work when chosing a non enUS/enGB Keyboard Layout (at least using deDE)
- i cant seem to start the Launcher, as i dont use the Steam Version, though no efforts have been made: there yet has to be a reason to use it.
- Installing - as Phoenix took care of that, its still a Gold Rating imo.
What was not tested
- that Steam Plugin with that E-DE, erm, the other thing from Portal... Space Core! Might as well been missing the Spot to pick it up yet
Q6600 @ 2.88 GHz GTX 275 @ Settings ~Medium, 1920x1080 4GB RAM, 3.1.6-gentoo
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia"||Jul 10 2020||5.12-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||LinuxSupahFly|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Jan 01 2020||4.21||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Doug T|
|Show||Manjaro Linux 18.1.0||Sep 13 2019||4.15||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Ky Nguyen|
|Show||macOS 10.13 "High Sierra"||May 30 2019||4.9-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Avenue|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Dec 28 2018||4.0-rc3-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Doug T|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|11674||Dual-core unsupported in WoW and SC2||STAGED||View|
|28282||Sound constantly crackling in lot of games||STAGED||View|
|30123||Mouse pointer is confined in a box lesser than the full screen||REOPENED||View|
|30984||Some keys do not work in different games (Trine, Skyrim, Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Star Trek Online, Gothic 2)||STAGED||View|
|37508||Some Bethesda games sometimes freeze during gameplay||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|37995||Mouse jittering when steam overlay is enabled||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|39132||Skyrim: flickering / glitchy shadows||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|40983||VRamSizeDX9 reports incorrect video memory(Skyrim with ENB problem)||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|41262||It won't let me open Skyrim on my Steam||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|43105||Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and Skyrim crash when the Steam overlay is opened on macOS||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|44878||Skyrim with ENB fails to load game (d3dcompiler:assemble_shader Asm reading failed)||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|45575||Skyrim: No controller input when multiple controllers are connected||UNCONFIRMED||View|
This method is experimental presently(see associated bugs), so try at your own behest.
Game getting stuck at load screen (Vivid Weathers ENB)
Game getting stuck after/during load screen, ingame music keeps running(Multiple ENB Presets)
There is a black overlay over characters and objects(Tetrachromatic ENB Ghost Preset)
Everything is black with only hud visible
To fix crackling and choppy sound with Pulseaudio:
Possible fix 0:
run in some terminal:
while true; do pasuspender sleep 0.02; sleep 60; done
This finally prevents buffer underruns and the sound is perfect then.
Possible fix 1:
Make sure your realtime kit (rt-kit) is installed and functional so it can assign pulseaudio realtime priority. The kernel config CONFIG_RT_GROUP_SCHED needs to be off for this (see here).
Possible fix 2:
Setting SndQueueMax to 15 (default is 10), see here:
If you cannot see underwater (water is solid green):
Edit SkyrimPrefs.ini in your 'My Games\Skyrim' directory and in the [Imagespace] section set bDoDepthOfField=0 and iRadialBlurLevel=0
This is a game bug, not a Wine issue!
Stuck at main screen
Some mods change the fonts in Skyrim and sometimes that ends in wine not showing up the menu of Skyrim. Simple fix is to remove fontconfig.txt in Data/Interface.Crashes, texture bugs etc..
Remember, this is a Bethesda game, a few bugs happen for Windows users too, so blaming wine might not be justified. Please leave comments and bug reports, especially if things that used to work suddenly break.