Everything seems to be playable + performance isn't that bad (no spikes). I am on UX430UQ ultrabook under nvidia-xrun (Nvidia GT940MX), so even on Windows I would have terrible performance that does not consistently stay over 60fps...
Using wine-4.0-rc4 (Staging), 32bit, with DXVK under Arch Linux (4.19.12-arch1-1-ARCH), XFCE4, with compositor disabled.
What does not
The following has workarounds:
Unable to launch the game from this device
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/ won't allow you to connect to any server and says that you are using unsupported platform. Just trick the website by changing your browser user-agent to something Windows-like - Internet Explorer. For Chrome users, User-Agent Switcher for Chrome works just fine.
Mouse controls are unusable
BF3WebHelper.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close.
See notes - this is what happens when you install in 64bit wine prefix. Use 32bit.
What was not tested
How to install
I will describe how I installed it on Arch Linux. On other distributions steps might be slightly different.
1. Create new 32bit wine prefix:
$ WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
2. Set-up DXVK:
$ WINEPREFIX=~/.wine setup_dxvk32
3. Install legacy Origin client. When going to Origin download page, you will be noted that you are using unsupported platform and you will get an offer to download legacy installers instead - download it. I did not use current (latest) Origin client and don't know if it even works.
4. Install Battlefield 3 through Origin like you normally do.
5. Disable annoying stuff in Origin settings (Origin helper service, In-game service...). Not sure if needed, but I did.
6. Happy game! See workarounds section on how to deal with various issues.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Arch Linux x86_64||Dec 31 2018||4.0-rc4-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Silver||Erikas Rudinskas|
|Show||Ubuntu 16.04 "Xenial" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jul 24 2018||3.10-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||BYaka|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Jun 24 2017||2.10-staging||Yes||Yes||Silver||Lucas Francesco|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||May 21 2016||1.9.9||Yes||No||Garbage||Erikas Rudinskas|
|Show||Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 18 2011||1.3.35||Yes||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|
Try FIX 1 first. If this does not help, then try FIX 2:
FIX 1: Go to wine settings (winetricks) and set "mouse warp override" to "disabled". In Battlefield 3 in-game settings, set "raw mouse input" to "On".
FIX 2: Go to Wine settings (winetricks) and set "mouse warp override" to default value ("Enabled'). In Battlefield 3 in-game settings, set "raw mouse input" to "Off".
This error shows up during game launch when using 64bit wine prefix. You need to use 32bit wine prefix in order to fix it.