Most things, playable.
What does not
Audio can be crackly
Launcher needs to be bypassed to stop X becoming unresponsive (no functionality appears to be lost with the bypass).
What was not tested
Had to set gdiplus to native then builtin for installer to work If the launcher and/or X becomes unresponsive, then see this bug https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32010 Bypass the launcher with `wine Gw2-64.exe -email email@example.com -password zyxyzyxz -autologin -nopatchui`
|Distribution||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Rating||Submitter|
|Current||openSUSE Tumbleweed (rolling release)||Apr 05 2017||2.4||Yes||Yes||Gold||Jon|
|Show||Linux Mint 17.3 "Rosa" x86_64||Mar 10 2017||2.3||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Cory|
|Show||64Studio||Jun 07 2016||1.9.11||Yes||Yes||Silver||Craig Ehlo|
|Show||64Studio||Jun 06 2016||1.9.11||No, but has workaround||Yes||Silver||Craig Ehlo|
|Show||Fedora 23 x86_64||Mar 25 2016||1.9.6||Yes||Yes||Gold||Phobeus|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|29872||Guild Wars: Character graphic is corrupted||NEW||View|
|30511||Guild Wars 2 launcher crashes with "assertion m_ioCount failed"||NEW||View|
|31839||Mouse jumps to the upper left corner of the screen||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|31952||Guild Wars 2: Graphical bug causing horizontal lines on world||NEW||View|
|32010||Guild Wars 2 updater uses always 100% of a CPU core||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|32058||Guild Wars 2 launcher freezes/hangs (unable to launch game)||RESOLVED||NOTOURBUG||View|
|32152||Guild Wars 2: Missing sound and game crashes on time adjusting||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|33053||Support for dvorak programmer layout.||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|33759||Some applications reset the X color profile||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|34342||Chronic crash of Guild Wars 2(out of memory)||NEW||View|
|37959||Guild Wars 2 freezes on startup||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|40299||Guild Wars 2: Graphic shows through the ground||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|40300||Guild Wars 2: Mouse gets temporary invisible on the Launcher||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|40843||Guild Wars 2: Game crashes on uninstalling||UNCONFIRMED||View|
PlayOnLinux and PlayOnMac users can ignore this entire note - PlayOn* already does all of this for you!
At this point, you have installed Wine and you're ready to install the game.
First, let's figure out how to manage wine prefixes.
Wine Prefix Setup
You really should get used to wine prefixes. If you're installing everything to the default prefix (~/.wine) you're missing out on the ability to use optimal settings (and wine versions) for each game you own. PlayOnLinux/PlayOnMac asks you if you want to create a new prefix when you install something, it's so simple that I'll not explain how to do it.
If you're on linux Q4Wine is a great application which offers a GUI for wine. You can of course manage prefixes but also do a lot of other cool things.
Here is how to create a new prefix with q4wine:
Once you're more familiar with the interface, follow these steps to set up a prefix for GW2:
Of course if you know other ways to manage wine prefixes you can do so.
Install the Game
Your options are:
Installing using the launcher:
Installing using the CD:
This is pretty darn simple, but you're going to install the entire game by patching, so it will take longer.
Installing using existing installation's files:
Here's several things you can do to get better performance/correct problems:
The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.
- RE: How I made Guild Wars 2 run smooth. by Spite on Wednesday April 19th 2017, 23:40
- RE: How I made Guild Wars 2 run smooth. by Bao Nguyen on Thursday April 20th 2017, 2:19
- RE: How I made Guild Wars 2 run smooth. by Spite on Thursday April 20th 2017, 8:58
- RE: How I made Guild Wars 2 run smooth. by Spite on Thursday April 20th 2017, 8:59
- RE: How I made Guild Wars 2 run smooth. by Marry on Thursday April 27th 2017, 11:34
- RE: How I made Guild Wars 2 run smooth. by Bao Nguyen on Friday April 28th 2017, 11:37
- RE: Weird DRI3 issue with Gallium Nine-patched Wine by Adam on Monday February 1st 2016, 14:56
- RE: Weird DRI3 issue with Gallium Nine-patched Wine by David TECHER on Thursday February 4th 2016, 9:47
- RE: Weird DRI3 issue with Gallium Nine-patched Wine by David TECHER on Thursday February 4th 2016, 19:17
- RE: Weird DRI3 issue with Gallium Nine-patched Wine by Adam on Friday March 25th 2016, 14:26
- RE: Inputs continue to be held after releasing the key by sl1pkn07 on Friday January 1st 2016, 19:22
- RE: Inputs continue to be held after releasing the key by Adam on Friday January 22nd 2016, 20:12
- RE: Inputs continue to be held after releasing the key by dolphinling on Monday January 25th 2016, 9:37
- RE: 64-bit client by Damion Gans on Thursday November 5th 2015, 6:43
- RE: 64-bit client by Daniel Lynn on Thursday November 5th 2015, 10:12
- RE: Low fps after a few seconds by Fragoso on Thursday June 18th 2015, 16:40
- RE: Low fps after a few seconds by Guillaume R on Friday July 10th 2015, 8:27
- RE: Client Crashes on Downloading by Guillaume R on Thursday May 7th 2015, 13:30
- RE: Client Crashes on Downloading by Maurizio Oliveri on Thursday June 11th 2015, 18:23
- RE: Gallium Nine / Wine 1.7.38 patched to Download / Youtube Videos by David TECHER on Monday March 16th 2015, 19:28
- RE: Gallium Nine / Wine 1.7.38 patched to Download / Youtube Videos by Lith Maethor on Friday March 27th 2015, 23:12
- RE: Gallium Nine / Wine 1.7.38 patched to Download / Youtube Videos by Bart Vaes on Sunday April 5th 2015, 14:02
- RE: Gallium Nine / Wine 1.7.38 patched to Download / Youtube Videos by Chris Allan on Wednesday April 22nd 2015, 22:18
- RE: Optimized Packages for Ubuntu by Forest on Sunday June 14th 2015, 23:31
- RE: Sometimes cursor doesn't come back from cutscenes by Guillaume R on Wednesday April 29th 2015, 14:53