WineHQ

Sid Meier's Civilization III





Conquests expansion pack installed over Civilization III

Application Details:

Version: Conquests 1.22
License: Retail
URL: http://www.civ3.com/
Votes: Marked as obsolete
Latest Rating: Gold
Latest Wine Version Tested: 1.5.16

Maintainers: About Maintainership

Test Results

Old test results
The test results you have selected are very old and may not represent the current state of Wine.
Selected Test Results

What works

Almost everything.

What does not

Sound.

The lines around settlers are missing, so the ones in the Foreign Advisor screen.

Anti-copy protection.

Uninstallation (I tried only to uninstall the patch first).

Workarounds

What was not tested

I entered the multiplayer screen but did not try to start a game, everything else seems to work.

I didn't play extensively.

Hardware tested

Graphics:

  • GPU:
  • Driver:

Additional Comments

Scrolling is slower than on windows. Installations of standard Civ3 and the Conquests expansion place respectively the Start menu's Infogrames and Atari folders in the current working directory. If they can't, they fail. (In this case the italian installation of Civ3 says: Componente: Program Files Gruppo di file: Program Files File: Errore: -2147024877 ) So SETUP.EXE must be run from a writable directory, I used (from ~/.wine/drive_c): $ wine H:\Setup.exe (being H: the autodetected /mnt/cdrom ) Installation required the windows version set to 98 and native DCOM (ole32,oleaut32 and rpcrt4), otherwise Conquests installs all the languages (even if the right one is detected and selected at the installation) and doesn't use the right one when playing. While installing either Civ3 or Conquests without native DCOM, WINE says: err:ole:marshal_object object doesn't expose interface {be6115a1-7de5-48dc-ad2a-25060e00fce2}, failing with error 0x80004002 err:ole:ClientIdentity_QueryMultipleInterfaces IRemUnknown_RemQueryInterface failed with error 0x80004002 Not using native DCOM for the installations left the wine processes running and forced me to close them with: $ wineserver -k (but I think killall -w wine-pthread would have worked too) After having installed Civ3, Conquests and the patch, native DCOM is no more needed. However without it WINE says: err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {5959df60-2911-11d1-b049-0020af30269a} not registered err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {5959df60-2911-11d1-b049-0020af30269a} could be created for for context 0x1 err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {25e609e4-b259-11cf-bfc7-444553540000} not registered err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {25e609e4-b259-11cf-bfc7-444553540000} could be created for for context 0x1 If I don't use a no-CD crack, I get different results with the windows version set to 98 or 2000/NT. With the first there's the "Unload the debugger and try again" pop-up window, with the second WINE says: err:module:import_dll Library ntoskrnl.exe (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers\\SECDRV.SYS") not found err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\drivers\\SECDRV.SYS" failed, status c0000135 In both cases it fails. Before running the game I nedded to run LSANS.fot in the background: $ wine LSANS.fot & IMPORTANT: trying to run the game without this made the file LSANS.fot disappear and gave a "font error" message. So you better keep a copy of LSANS.fot , or you may need to install everything again. While playing I get the following message repeated many times in the shell: err:opengl:X11DRV_ChoosePixelFormat Flag not supported ! However the game runs like if nothing happened. The game is too slow using the X.Org 6.8.2 radeon driver, it's much faster with the ATI driver. With WINE versions 0.9.4 and the current 0.9.5 the game fails to start. It gives a different error message if I use the X.Org or ATI driver, respectively: X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes) Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX) Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent) Serial number of failed request: 749 Current serial number in output stream: 749 and: X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) Major opcode of failed request: 144 (XFree86-DRI) Minor opcode of failed request: 7 () Value in failed request: 0x76 Serial number of failed request: 767 Current serial number in output stream: 767 However if I don't run LSANS.fot beforehand, then the game gives the "font error" message, which is an in-game window (so I suppose the problem is with the intro video).

selected in Test Results table below
Operating systemTest dateWine versionInstalls?Runs?Used
Workaround?
RatingSubmitter
ShowUbuntu 12.04 "Precise" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)Nov 04 20121.5.16Yes Yes Goldan anonymous user 
ShowUbuntu 12.04 "Precise" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)Aug 24 20121.5.11Yes Yes Goldan anonymous user 
ShowUbuntu 9.10 "Karmic" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)Nov 01 20091.1.32Yes Yes GoldSimon Ceder 
ShowUbuntu 9.04 "Jaunty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)Jul 26 20091.1.26Yes Yes Garbagea.tom 
ShowUbuntu 9.04 "Jaunty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)May 14 20091.1.21Yes No Garbagean anonymous user 

Known Bugs

Bug # Description Status Resolution Other apps affected
17726 Multiple games require IDirectPlay8Peer Host implementation for multi-player mode (Civilization III Play the World, Railroad Tycoon 3) NEW View

Show all bugs

Comments

Back