Final Fantasy XI is the first online Final Fantasy RPG from Square Enix.
Login; character selection; gameplay.
What does not
- (NEW) The FFXIPadConfig utility no longer correctly assigns input for the stick assigned to the menu functions. When properly input, Up is assigned to Left, Down is assigned to Right; the other two directions are not assigned. (Tested with Logitech Dual-Action USB Gamepad)
- (NEW) The FFXIPadConfig utility's "Test" functions either do not properly display the correct position of each stick or positioners are misaligned in the testing window (depending on case).
- (NEW) On random sessions, using a gamepad after changing focus away from and back to the application window will result in all sticks behaving randomly. (Workaround: moving each stick briefly in a single direction will restore proper input for that stick.)
- A brief "pause" in rendering can be seen approximately every 1.2 seconds; its length seems to increase with memory usage.
- Flickering ("Z-Fighting") from cast shadows and (in certain areas) dynamic environmental lighting continues to be an issue. (Partial workaround: turn shadows off.)
- Occasionally, moving
the mouse off of FFXI's window to defocus will briefly cause the game's
camera to shift in the direction the mouse was moved (as if dragging
with RMB); When in first-person view, the character will turn in that direction instead (as if dragging with LMB).
- Hairline texture artifacts can be seen in the alpha of HUD status icons and title images on the lobby menu.
- Certain heavy cloud layers on the skybox (eg. Vunkerl Inlet (S) during Thunder weather) have visible dotted "grids" of darker pixels in more uniform areas.
What was not tested
As noted by Val, pol.exe's "Windows Version" must be changed to Windows Vista in winecfg in order to proceed into the game after your character loads.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Gentoo Linux x86_64||Jun 24 2019||4.11||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Chiitoo|
|Show||macOS Mojave 10.14||Feb 15 2019||4.1||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Christopher Strom|
|Show||Gentoo Linux x86_64||Jan 08 2019||4.0-rc3-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Pandoraxero|
|Show||Gentoo Linux x86_64||Oct 15 2018||3.18||N/A||Yes||Yes||Gold||Megas of Vecanti|
|Show||Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" amd64 (+variants like Kubuntu)||Nov 03 2018||3.0.3||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Christopher Strom|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|28861||Final Fantasy XI hangs after character selection||NEW||View|
|32931||FFXI Amazon Downloader crashes when trying to download install files||NEW||View|
|40794||PlayOnline Viewer crashes when using a game controller.||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|41641||Final Fantasy XI: incorrect face culling; no glitches when disabled||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|42008||Final Fantasy XI Online: Opening movie doesn't play.||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|45520||Install Shield fails on 64bit prefix with Silent install||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|47577||Final Fantasy XI crashes||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|47651||PlayOnline Viewer: Page fault on read access at launch time.||UNCONFIRMED||View|
The PlayOnline Viewer and Final Fantasy XI installation/data files can be downloaded from the PlayOnline website(s):
During the installation process of Final Fantasy XI, a window with only borders, and no rendered content may be seen, and the 'msiexec' process can be using up to 100% of a single CPU core while possibly processing the 'FINAL_FANTASY_XI.msi' file probably. This can take up to at least four (4) minutes, but should eventually complete.
Last updated until this point: 2019-06-14
Windows 7 needs to be set as the reported Windows version, or the game client will crash after accepting the licence agreement.
Everything imaginable in-game works, though the game can be quite heavy, depending on settings (especially due to the shadows). Using CSMT from Staging helps with FPS by allowing more CPU to be used.
A PS2-controller via a simple USB-converter works flawlessly (aside from sometimes when entering the game, and the analog mode is off, the player character and the camera will start moving by themselves, but they stop when the analog mode is enabled (whether or not this would happen on Windows as well is unknown at this time)).
Requires the Japanese PlayOnline Viewer software, as is intended (using 'uim' to switch input methods).
Works while in PlayOnline Viewer, but not while in-game. This may be due to how things are built-in. It is possible to paste text from outside the PlayOnline Viewer into it, but the same is not true for the actual game client.
The following information may be largely out of date since 2016-12-19 or earlier.
HOWTO - Final Fantasy XI: The Ultimate Collection 2011
This HOWTO will help you get Final Fantasy XI setup on your machine using "The Ultimate Collection 2011" retail package, or equivalent media. Here you will also find a guide to get the PlayOnline Viewer running. This HOWTO is complete to the best knowledge of its creators, however, there may be some errors that have not been resolved.
Please note that in order to run this game, you will most likely NEED the proprietary drivers for your graphics card(s). Open-source drivers are known to have problems with 3D rendering, and may render many things incorrectly or slowly. Please bear this in mind when submitting test results, as well.
Running more than one instance of FFXI:
WINEPREFIX="/home/$USER/.wine-second" wine /path/to/first/full/FFXI/Install/pol.exe
/home/yourname/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/PlayOnline/ and one copy of that install in: /home/yourname/.wine-second/drive_c/Program Files/PlayOnline/
WINEPREFIX="/home/$USER/.wine-second" wine /path/to/copy/of/full/FFXI/Install/pol.exe