Game loads, sizing is based on window resize not in game resolution settings. Semi playable, no latency hits.
What does not
Snipers in scope show a line of site in the color of their team. Controls are touchy at times and don't always go in the correct directions.
What was not tested
Possibility of in game bans using the game in this fashion due to no scope capabilities by the scope glitch.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Oct 05 2013||1.7.3||Yes||Yes||Platinum||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 14 2013||1.5.30||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Sabun|
|Current||Ubuntu 13.04 "Raring" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 02 2013||1.5.27||N/A||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Mar 25 2013||1.5.26||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|
|Show||Linux Mint 14 "Nadia"||Feb 03 2013||1.5.23||Yes||No||Garbage||an anonymous user|
Go to www.ace-spades.com or the download link listed above and download the installer.
Double-clicking on the installer should just run it. If not, try right clicking and select "open with Wine" or "open with Wine Windows Program Loader".
Let the installer run, it should just do everything automatically for you.
RUNNING THE GAME:
Mac (or non-Gnome Linux):
Launch the program via command line:
For Linux, open a terminal and type everything after the $ symbol:
$ wine '/home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Ace of Spades/client.exe' -aos://#######
For Mac, open a terminal and type everything after the $ symbol:
$ wine '/Users/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Ace of Spades/client.exe' -aos://#######
Replace USERNAME with your username and ###### with the server number you want to join. The server number can be found on www.ace-spades.com by right clicking on a server name and choosing "Copy Link Location" (http://iammorthor.com/aos/ shows you the number directly). This can be pasted to replace the entire aos://##### argument.
Alternatively you may install a Windows web browser through WINE, then you can launch the game like normal by going to www.ace-spades.com or http://iammorthor.com/aos/ (I like this one better) and clicking on the name of the server you would like to join.
Linux (Ubuntu and other distributions that use Gnome only):
A much more direct method comes from liam uk (Thanks Liam!). If you have problems with this method for any reason, you can still use the old method listed above under Mac / non-Gnome Linux:
Simply enter the following three commands in a terminal pressing enter after each one (don't include the $ symbol, and replace USERNAME with your username).
$ gconftool-2 --set --type=string /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/aos/command 'wine "/home/USERNAME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Ace of Spades/client.exe" -"%s"'
$ gconftool-2 --set --type=boolean /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/aos/enabled true
$ gconftool-2 --set --type=boolean /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/aos/needs_terminal false
Then you can launch the game like normal by going to www.ace-spades.com or http://iammorthor.com/aos/ (I like this one better) and clicking on the name of the server you would like to join.
- Try changing the hardware acceleration in the wine config audio tab to "Emulation" ( -Josh)
- If for whatever reason that doesn't work, some people have gotten sound working by disabling Pulse Audio or using a version of Wine with Pulse Audio support (See Bug #26775 for details) (-Nils)
Both these fixes have NOT yet been tested by me (final exams) will update here as soon as I have personally tested them and will add new test data :)
HOSTING A SERVER:
The Ace of Spades server can be a little touchy, however several users have reported running servers under WINE with no special configuration needed. The following explanation is just a general guide, and is not really WINE specific, I just thought it would be helpful for those confused about hosting a server in general.
To run a server, you first need to forward your UDP port 32887.This can be notoriously confusing if you have never done this before, but is really not that complex. http://portforward.com/ might be of use to you. If you don't find your router listed:
My Horrible Port Forwarding Blind Guide
- try opening 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.1.1 in your web browser and seeing if that connects you to the router (you might be asked for login information, just google for your routers default password if you don't know it).
- Navigate around for a panel or tab that sounds like "Port Forwarding", "Application Settings", "Application and Games", or something that sounds similar.
- Enter the port to be forwarded and the setting (in this case, port number 32887 and UDP as the setting). Then add the LOCAL ip address of the computer you are hosting the server on.
- If it asks for "local" and "external" ports, just enter 32887 for both values.
- If you don't know your computers local ip address, open a terminal and type "ifconfig". the local address should look like "inet addr: 192.168.x.x", just input the numbers.
- Once thats done, click "Save Settings" or "Apply Settings".
End Horrible Blind Guide
Now to actually run the server:
- Navigate to your Ace of Spades install folder and launch "server.exe"
- When prompted, enter the number of players you want to allow (more is usually better) and the name of the server.
- It should tell you that the server is running and instruct you to wait a few minutes before trying to connect.
- Once this is all done, just follow the steps above to "Run the Game" and join your server. People will most likely not join your server unless at least one person is in it, so join for a bit so people know that the server is running.