Almost everything works very well for me, and runs smooth on and old macbook. There is only two major problems to address.
All you have to do to get it running is: (Note: This is OS X specific)
1) Get winetricks.
2) Execute the following commands:
port install cabextract # Get cabextract however you can you don't have mac ports.
3) To ensure that you don't see a black-screen while launching gunz: Execute winecfg, go to the Graphics tab. Tick "Emulate a virtual desktop", choose a big resolution. (You can also try going full-screen though if it doesn't work you will have to reboot).
4) Download fgunz, execute the installer with wine normally. Install.
5) Launch Launcher.exe in the Gunz executable path with wine.
6) Play GunZ!
What does not
1) Game Configuration Saving Crashes.
If it happens to you too, then get a normal gunz config.xml from google (or if you have a backup config.xml from a Windows install, get it). Place this file in the fgunz installation base path (Usually you should put it in "~/wine/drive_c/Program Files/Freestyle GunZ Version 7/").
After this, adjust your settings in config.xml directly, by modifying it with a text editor, and never modify the settings in-game Some of the values inside this XML could be confusing to some, just try to work your way around it, its intuitive enough. (For example: Take into account if you want to change keys, you have to put the ASCII value of each character).
2) Full-screen did not work for me.
Workaround: Emulate a virtual desktop with Wine. (Don't go full-screen).
What was not tested
Everything was tested, game runs smoothly.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Mac OS X 10.11 "El Capitan"||Jun 21 2016||1.6||Yes||Yes||Gold||Dave|
|Current||Mac OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion"||Aug 28 2013||1.4.1||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Mar 20 2013||1.4.1||Yes||Yes||Bronze||an anonymous user|