Current version of the app
Login renders and works properly
main window renders properly
Shop loads and renders properly
News loads and renders properly
Drop down menus render properly when clicked on
installation and launch of Diablo 3
What does not
Everything I've tried seems to work properly
What was not tested
I did not test purchases from the shop
I created a 64-bit wine prefix and used winetricks to install corefonts and ie8. I downloaded one of the Blizzard App installers from Blizzard and installed it as normal from the command line. I was able to install and launch Diablo 3 without issue.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Sep 24 2022||7.17||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Acridwax|
|Show||Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Sep 19 2022||7.17||No||Not installable||Yes||Garbage||Acridwax|
|Show||Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 30 2022||7.16||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Acridwax|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Aug 21 2021||6.15||Yes||Yes||Yes||Silver||Dan|
|Show||Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 08 2021||6.8||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Scott|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|32342||Multiple applications and games using 'Webkit' or 'Blink' web browser engine crash on startup ('Arial' and 'Times New Roman' font face name validation)||STAGED||View|
|33943||Battle.net client dropdowns do not appear until you hover its options||STAGED||View|
|37885||Battle.net launcher fails to set permissions on WoW files||NEW||View|
|38845||Battle.net launcher shows white screen with WINEPREFIX Windows version > 'Windows XP' and builtin d3dcompiler_47.dll||REOPENED||View|
|39069||Battle.net launcher requires multiple click to focus tabs in Openbox||NEW||View|
|40857||Battle.net drop-down menus lack border||NEW||View|
|40930||Battle.net App: Windows versions higher than XP draw GTK decorations||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|43349||Blizzard App Fails to Recognize Password Upon Switching Regions||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|44210||GNUTLS_CIPHER_CHACHA20_POLY1305 is not work||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|45565||Battle.net Helper.exe crashes when trying to play videos||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|45837||Battle.net Launcher dropdown menu cant be opened, no icon to click||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|46836||Battle.Net UI freezes when downloading big games after a period of time||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|49941||Battle.net gui pop-up on launch ubuntu 18.04||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|50064||A transparent Agent.exe window is shown when Battle.Net launches||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|51567||Battle.net app takes a long time to start||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|52029||Battle.net: A required DLL could not be found, on NTFS drive||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|53697||Battle.net Agent.8009/Agent.exe not working (installing Battle.net client and updating games) (2022-09-17)||UNCONFIRMED||View|
Please note that due to syscall thunks requirements described in bug #45349, 64-bit game clients for Blizzard games will work only in Wine built with PE support.
If possible, use Wine Staging (any reasonably new version will work).
Starting from version 3.12 vanilla Wine should also work, but it can have minor problems, so use it only if there is no option to install Staging.
Ensure that your system has 32-bit libraries for libldap and gnutls installed (lib32-libldap and lib32-gnutls on Arch, but names may vary on other distros).
64-bit prefix is recommended, since Blizzard is discontinuing 32-bit support for some of their games.
Windows version should be set to Windows 7 or above.
"corefonts" should be installed, otherwise some pages will have incorrectly rendered text. The easiest way to do this is through winetricks:
$ winetricks corefonts
You can also have the fonts installed through your package manager:
After everything described above is configured, run (from the terminal):
$ wine Battle.net-Setup.exe
and follow instructions in the installer.
Blizzard App icon keeps spinning forever, can't login
Installer does not work on Arch Linux x86_64
Battle.net window is all white
Lately there have been problems with Agent.exe, which result in users not being able to install and update games. The issue seems to appear randomly, but once it does, it will not go away without applying a workaround.
Currently known workarounds:
If anyone has new information on this topic, please let others know in the comments.