Full retail version of the Half-Life 2.
* The game, using dxlevel 70, 80 and 90 (I prefered 90)
What does not
* Sometimes the water was nearly black
* There were some slowdowns
* The Intro was shown and audio was played but with break after every second...
What was not tested
* Beating the game. I stoped in the level with the boat.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Linux Mint 5 "Elyssa"||Dec 31 2019||4.0.3||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||Tristan|
|Show||Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Sep 30 2019||4.0.2||Yes||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Franco|
|Show||Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" amd64 (+variants like Kubuntu)||Jul 31 2019||4.0.1||No||Not installable||No||Garbage||Dadu042|
|Show||Linux Mint Debian x86_64||Jul 01 2014||1.7.21||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Philipglo Joshua Opulencia|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Jul 24 2013||1.6||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Artur h0m3|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|5159||Microphone xmit in Half Life and HL:S games very harsh and goes in and out of "focus"||REOPENED||View|
|22912||Half Life 2 and Portal subtitles unreadable||NEW||View|
|24684||Multiple Source engine based games (Steam): out-of-order rendering, bloom effect and lights are visible through walls when multicore rendering is enabled||NEW||View|
|27453||Lag when loading new sound in source games||NEW||View|
|34080||Half-life 2 : Ammo doesn't display when loading game||UNCONFIRMED||View|
First of all install Steam and make sure it's working properly. It is a simple and fast install. You don't want to go through all CDs installing HL2 to find-out that Steam is foo-bared.
Half-Life 2 can be installed from a) multiple CDs; b) DVD or c) downloaded from Steam. b) and c) should work as-is without any major problems.
For multi-CD install:
- Run winecfg and make sure that your cd-rom drive is mapped to a drive (d: for example).
- Start install from outside mount point ex: open CD-ROM in winefile then double click on hl2.exe
cd ~ && wine explorer d:\\- When asked to change CD, in the separate terminal run
wine eject d:- Insert next CD and mount it (browse to it with Window Manager's "file browser"). If CD isn't mounted Wine won't see it
In Steam -> File -> Settings -> In-game disable "Steam Community In-Game". Of left enabled Half-Life 2 will not crash on the startup.
Half-Life 2 doesn't work well/at all without sound. Use ALSA (recommended) or OSS (problematic on most hardware).
On modern GPUs Half-Life 2 should be able to run in all dx-levels (70, 80, 81, 90). However there are might be some visual problems on higher dx-levels. Some drivers known to have problems:
- nVidia: recommended driver: 1.0-9631. Older 87xx drivers have number of bugs.
- ATI: Appears to have numerous problems with advanced features. Ok for dxlevel 70 & 80. Anything above won't work or will be exactly the same as 80.
For better graphics quality you might want to use "-dxlevel 90" command option (might be much slower then with -dxlevel 81)
To fix number of problems with "water in the sky" and lighting add this to the registry:
You can start Half-Life 2 by double clicking on it in Steam. Also you can start it with:
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Progam\ Files/Steam WINEDEBUG=-all wine steam.exe -applaunch 220 -novid -dxlevel 90 -width 1024 -height 768