This is the last released patch for Master of Orion 3. Lots of bug fixes and some features were added since v1.00
Maintenance update: no change in functionality; so everything tested:
- single player
- starting videos
- modding (applying most tropical patches)
What does not
- Full screen is garbled (issue)
- "Masters notes" (hints) often need to be closed twice (minor)
Use virtual desktop 800x600
What was not tested
- Completing a game
- if mods do what they should
Could be gold/platinum if not for the resolution issue.
As this took me a bit to get actually playable then it should, here some comments:
- Screen resolution: since you will want that virtual desktop 800x600 (winecfg), you probably want to install in a seperate bottle (WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-moo3 wine setup_master_of_orion_3_1.2.5_\(19644\).exe)
- Do not use 32 bit mode (WINEARCH=win32) for that bottle - I was tempted, but it made stuff worse, not better
- You will want to reduce your modern screen resolution before playing 800x600 windowed. Your screen might not be 4:3, so you probably want to reduce it to sth. slightly above that and restore after quitting. I am using this script (my resolution hardcoded):
xrandr --output eDP-1 --mode 1024x768
cd ~/.wine-moo3/drive_c/GOG\ Games/Master\ of\ Orion\ 3
WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-moo3 wine ~/.wine-moo3/drive_c/GOG\ Games/Master\ of\ Orion\ 3/moo3.exe
xrandr --output eDP-1 --mode 1600x900
- Saving games: not changing to the program directory before execution as advised in the wine manual can lead to problems; in this case: saving games did nothing, no error, no save game file. Hence the cd in the script above.
- Archiving/importing old save games: abandoned for now, the program seems to use an additional index and not just the file system for save game detection
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Oct 13 2021||6.0.1||Yes||Yes||Yes||Silver||axm|
|Show||Ubuntu 16.04 "Xenial" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Mar 27 2016||1.9.6||Yes||Yes||Silver||Maquis196|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 21 2014||1.7.19||Yes||Yes||Silver||Robert Zenz|
|Show||Gentoo Linux x86_64||Jul 10 2011||1.3.23||Yes||Yes||Gold||Maquis196|
|Show||Gentoo Linux x86_64||Apr 25 2011||1.3.17||Yes||Yes||Gold||Maquis196|
An updated version of this document can be found here
Master of Orion 3 HOW-TO
1-Insert the first disk(installation) on your cd-rom drive.
2-Open the cd
3-Right-click the setup.exe archive. Left-click WINE.
4-The inicial installation screen will open up. Click "NEXT".
5-The game's License Agreement will be shown. To continue you will have to accept.
6-Read the License. To continue with the installation, check the box which says "I Agree".
7-Click the "NEXT" button.
8-Link creation will be offered. Just click "NEXT".
9-Ready to copy files to your HD. Click "NEXT" again.
10-Wait until file coping finishes. Be patient.
11-When the coping ends you will be required to register your game's copy. Although you can register, I recommend you don't. If you desire to register, insert you age and click "NEXT".
12Otherwise click "CANCEL" and go to step 15
13-(OPTIONAL) If you chosen to register, your browser will open and you will be given the opportunity to register in the vendor's page.
14-(OPTIONAL) Insert your birthday, platform(PC), and Master of Orion 3, then click "CONTINUE". After that you will have to input your name, address....
15-(OPTIONAL) Roll down your browser and click the "SUBMIT REGISTRATION" to conclude
An error message will appear. Don't worry, just click "OK" it doesn't affect anything.
16-The next screen will ask for you to install Gamespy. Leave the field "NO, INSTALL GAMESPY ARCADE LATER" checked and click "NEXT".
17-In the following screen, leave "NO" checked and click "NEXT".
18-Click "NEXT" Again.
19-As you can see below, the game was successfully installed. You can now click in the icon WINE created to play it.
20-I recommend you update your Moo3's version to v1.25. Download it here and extract it somewhere. Right-click the executable archive and left-click WINE.
21-Another screen will show up. Click "INSTALL".
22-Click in the "DONE" Button.
23-You will be asked whether you want to read the patch's readme. If don't want to read it, go to step 25.
24-(OPTIONAL) If you click yes, the picture below will appear. Close WINE's notepad to proceed.
25-WINE hasn't implemented securom(It's an anti-copy protection method). This means you will have to download a "No-CD" file to be able to play (disk 2 won't be necessary anymore). Please remember that you may only use that file if own the game (a.k.a. bought it in stores). The message below will appear if try to use disk 2 without that file, so continue reading this tutorial.
that "No-CD" file, overwrite the original Moo3.exe with the
one you just acquired in the directory
Interactive/Master of Orion 3" as in the example below.
27-All set up. Click in the created icon to play.