Installation (through Steam)
Single player gameplay
What does not
What was not tested
This is for the newly released b20 that adds multiplayer (I've yet to test that, when I do I'll come back here and report on it) among other things. The game runs well even on almost maxed out setting. Of course, I have a 780 Ti so it could be getting poor performance (relative to Windows) and my card is simply brute forcing a good framerate. I didn't change anything in wine or add any DLLs other than what comes preinstalled when you install Steam through winetricks. The reason this is getting a Silver rating rather than Gold or Platinum is that there is a weird darkened shading across the character's face. It is very noticeable on the start page and noticeable when you zoom in in-game. It does not appear on the character sheet model (maybe a lack of lighting effects on the model used in the character sheet?). When I play, I generally have the view zoomed out as far as possible and this is almost top down, plus your character appears pretty small, so the weird shading down't bother me in the least bit, but it does stop me from giving the game a rating higher than Silver (plus I haven't tested multiplayer yet). Xubuntu 14.04 x86_64 EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti Superclocked Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 (Haswell) 16 GB DDR3 Nvidia Driver 343.13
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||macOS 10.12 "Sierra"||Jan 28 2017||2.0||Yes||Yes||Gold||fireedo|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Mar 30 2016||1.9.6||Yes||Yes||Gold||eNTi|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Mar 29 2016||1.9.6||N/A||No||Garbage||eNTi|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Mar 02 2016||1.9.4||Yes||Yes||Gold||GloriousEggroll|
|Show||Ubuntu 15.10 "Wily" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Feb 25 2016||1.9.4||Yes||Yes||Gold||Tyler Fru|
Sometimes wher you launch the game, all characters and some other objects are partially o fully invisible.
There is no permanent solution for this moment (03.04.2017).
But this behavior not hapening every time, so you need to restart game 3-6 times.
Enabling anisotropic-filtering in video settings also helps to incresing chance of successful launch.
Also in my opinion, this problem happening less often with wine-staging, but this need to be proofed.
If u use wine>2.6, setting REG flag
to "enabled" can solve this. For me it bring no changes, but maybe u will be more lucky.
Thx @Fincer for info.
Enabling CSMT in wine-staging incress FPS near 30%.
Also u can try this:
Settings within options.txt:
maxResourceThreads = 16
I did set it to 16 which is the amount of aviable Cores on a R7 1700X, Intel-Users did set this to lower settings then their max. amount of Cores which had something to do with Hyperthreading. Settings this to max. on Intel caused lower performance, i didnt see any performance-differences on my CPU. It significantly improved raising this value is all i recognised, it didnt seem to change performance after a specific point.
Furter Performance-Improvements can be to set your Refresh-Rate to 60Hz with VSync enabled to work as a FPS-Limiter, the CPU is heavily bottlenecking within this game and lowering the CPU-Load via lower Graphic-Settings can help reducing some of the Lag-Spikes. CSMT-Enabled within Wine-Staging gives you a significant performance-boost. With the command cpuset you can improve the performance of the game further by disabling the first cpu-core. cpuset -l 2-15 -p (pid of the game).
Thx @SF for info
In some environments when u launch game throuth steam, it try to install "requested" software (directx, vcredist etc) each time.
For solving this:
1. Open your wine prefix
2. Navigate to 'drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Grim Dawn/_CommonRedist'
3. This folder contains subfolders like 'DotNet', 'DirectX', etc. Open every folder and find file 'installscript.vdf'
4. Rename or delete this file.
Game allow to change language via settings. After you select lang, it try to download translation-package.
But in wine this operation never ended succesfuly. This problem fixed in 220.127.116.11.x minor patch, but not listed in changelog.
For solving this:
0. Try to change lang in settings (other lang > select > download).
1. Open this official sub-forum.
2. Find your lang and download translation-package.
3. Open your wine prefix and navigate to 'Grim Dawn/localization'.
4. This folder must contain *.zip file, but it broken. We need only name of this file.
5. Copy downloaded package here and rename it with name from previous step. Old file must be removed.
If u have problems with launching, like "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Error" errors, try this.
After installing vcredist2015, create new '*.reg' file, that contains:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\DllOverrides] "*msvcp140"="native" "*msvcr140"="native" "*ucrtbase"="native" "*vcruntime140"="native" "*vcomp140"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-conio-l1-1-0"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-heap-l1-1-0"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-locale-l1-1-0"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-math-l1-1-0"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-stdio-l1-1-0"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-convert-l1-1-0"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-environment-l1-1-0"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-filesystem-l1-1-0"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-multibyte-l1-1-0"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-private-l1-1-0"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-process-l1-1-0"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-string-l1-1-0"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-time-l1-1-0"="native" "*api-ms-win-crt-utility-l1-1-0"="native"
and import this to registry of your wine prefix.