Current version of the game
Blizzard App works, just it. Game doesn't launch.
What does not
Doesn't matter if you are running it as Windows XP, 2003, 7, 8, 8.1 or 10. Do not launch. Game simple don't start.
I have tried change from Windows 7 to Windows XP, 2003, 8, 8.1, 10 in winecfg. But no luck. I click Play and it do not run. This information is important because in Wine 2.0.2 the game run if you change to Winwdows XP or 2003, but now, no way. But it only run in Wine 2.0.2 becuase Diablo III was an older version. A recent update to the game prevented from working with previous versions of Windows, juts 7 and beyond now. But Diablo III do not launch with WInwdows 7+ config.
What was not tested
Nothing because game doesn't run anymore.
Tested with NVidia 970 GTX and driver from NVidia site, not the one in Debian repositories, but the NVidia official. I have used an installation backup from Windows. I am tired to download and redownload it over and over. So i used a backup. I have clicked in "Diablo III Launcher.exe" and it started installing Blizzard App too. Blizzard App recognized game folder (in a differente partition) and started updating it to new patch. Then i have clicked Play and it DON'T RUN.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux 9.x "Stretch" x86_64||May 03 2019||4.7-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Acridwax|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux 9.x "Stretch" x86_64||Apr 20 2019||4.6-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Acridwax|
|Show||Debian 9 (Stretch)||Mar 22 2019||4.4-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Garbage||Acridwax|
|Show||Debian 9 (Stretch)||Mar 22 2019||4.4-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Acridwax|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux 9.x "Stretch" x86_64||Feb 03 2019||4.0-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Acridwax|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|11674||Dual-core unsupported in WoW and SC2||STAGED||View|
|29168||Multiple games and applications need realtime updates to KSYSTEM_TIME members in KUSER_SHARED_DATA (Star Wars: The Old Republic game client, Blizzard games, GO 1.4+ runtime)||STAGED||View|
|30849||Diablo 3: Hangs on "Authenticating Credentials"||RESOLVED||ABANDONED||View|
|30967||Diablo III: Resolution problems without virtual desktop||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|30993||diablo 3 d3d device error||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|31072||Diablo III: Sound is very quiet||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|31262||Diablo III in game mouse cursor Out of sync, hangs in place.||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|31839||Mouse jumps to the upper left corner of the screen||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|32083||Diablo III: Missing logo on startup||NEW||View|
|32084||Diablo III: Crash on changing from fullscreen mode to window mode||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|32179||Diablo III: changing keyboard layout to nonlatin makes all letters to be questionmarks||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|33111||Graphical Artifacts in Diablo 3 on AMD Graphics||RESOLVED||NOTOURBUG||View|
|35990||keyboard becomes unresponsive in blizzard games||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|42191||Multiple games require d3d11 deferred contexts (Diablo 3, Dark Souls 3, The Evil Within, Elex, Alien: Isolation)||STAGED||View|
|45443||Diablo 3: Starting the game causes a black screen softlock on the X-environment||UNCONFIRMED||View|
Please note that due to bug #45443, Diablo III will work only in Wine Staging. The game will not launch in vanilla Wine (both stable and development releases) until the patch for this bug is integrated.
32-bit game client uses DirectX 9, while 64-bit client uses DirectX 11. For some reason the 64-bit client has abysmal performance (around 1-2 fps).
In order to get around this and have a usable fps, either 1) use the 32-bit client, or 2) use DXVK (not directly supported on AppDB).
(To use the 32-bit client, go to Battle.net App -> Settings -> Game Settings -> Diablo III -> "Launch 32-bit client (instead of 64-bit)".)
Below workarounds should not be needed anymore to run the game. If you find that they are still required, please post it in the comments.
1. How to run the game on 64-bit systems
On systems with more than 4 GB of memory Diablo III sees an unusual amount of memory (from its perspective) due to differences in the memory layout on Windows and Linux. As a result of this, many aspects of the application will fail to function properly (including chatting, authenticating, and closing the game). To resolve this problem you need to run the game in particular way to tell Linux to use a Windows-like memory address space:
setarch i386 -3 wine '<path to Diablo III.exe or Battle.net Launcher.exe>'
2. How to fix audio with PulseAudio
Edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and add
default-fragment-size-msec = 5
After that the volume was really low and it appears that pulse volumes bars per application. so just clicking on the sound Icon, tools icon and going to Applications tab allowed me to adjust the volume of the game.
Tested on Alllen and Heath Zed 10FX USB sound card.