Current version of the game
Everything works perfectly! Exact the same way as in Windows. Blizzard works, game itself works.
What does not
No bugs, everything work IF, AND ONLY IF, "winecfg" windows version is set to "Windows XP or 2003". If it is set to Windows 7 it does not work. It even DON'T LOAD.
WINECFG SET TO:
Windows XP and 2003 - PLATINUM
Windows 2008, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 - GARBAGE
What was not tested
Tested with NVidia 970 GTX and driver from NVidia site, not the one in Debian repositories, but the NVidia official. I have used an installation backup from Windows. I am tired to download and redownload it over and over. So i used a backup. I have clicked in "Diablo III Launcher.exe" and it started installing Blizzard App too. Blizzard App recognized game folder (in a differente partition) and started updating it to new patch. Then i have clicked Play and it run very well. I have played a match to be sure. And it is perfect!
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 09 2021||6.5-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Acridwax|
|Show||Fedora 33 x86_64||Dec 27 2020||6.0-rc3-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Katharina|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux Testing "bullseye"||Jun 21 2020||5.0.1||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||sney|
|Show||Debian 10.x "Buster"||May 21 2020||5.8-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||pioruns|
|Show||Manjaro Linux 19.0||Mar 26 2020||5.4-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Jus de Patate_|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|11674||Dual-core unsupported in WoW and SC2||STAGED||View|
|30967||Diablo III: Resolution problems without virtual desktop||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|30993||diablo 3 d3d device error||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|31072||Diablo III: Sound is very quiet||RESOLVED||WORKSFORME||View|
|31262||Diablo III in game mouse cursor Out of sync, hangs in place.||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|31839||Mouse jumps to the upper left corner of the screen||RESOLVED||ABANDONED||View|
|32083||Diablo III: Missing logo on startup||NEW||View|
|32084||Diablo III: Crash on changing from fullscreen mode to window mode||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|32179||Diablo III: changing keyboard layout to nonlatin makes all letters to be questionmarks||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|33111||Graphical Artifacts in Diablo 3 on AMD Graphics||RESOLVED||NOTOURBUG||View|
|35990||keyboard becomes unresponsive in blizzard games||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|42191||Multiple games require d3d11 deferred contexts (Diablo 3, Dark Souls 3, The Evil Within, Elex, Alien: Isolation, Assassin's Creed III)||STAGED||View|
|45443||Diablo 3: Starting the game causes a black screen softlock on the X-environment||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|50162||msvcrt-Math_Precision patchset breaks audio in multiple applications (Unigine Superposition; Diablo III)||RESOLVED||FIXED||View|
Please note that due to bug #45349, 64-bit Diablo III client will work only in Wine Staging built with PE support.
32-bit game client uses DirectX 9, while 64-bit client uses DirectX 11. For some reason the 64-bit client has abysmal performance (around 1-2 fps).
In order to get around this and have a usable fps, either 1) use the 32-bit client, or 2) use DXVK (not directly supported on AppDB).
(To use the 32-bit client, go to Battle.net App -> Settings -> Game Settings -> Diablo III -> "Launch 32-bit client (instead of 64-bit)".)
Below workarounds should not be needed anymore to run the game. If you find that they are still required, please post it in the comments.
1. How to run the game on 64-bit systems
On systems with more than 4 GB of memory Diablo III sees an unusual amount of memory (from its perspective) due to differences in the memory layout on Windows and Linux. As a result of this, many aspects of the application will fail to function properly (including chatting, authenticating, and closing the game). To resolve this problem you need to run the game in particular way to tell Linux to use a Windows-like memory address space:
setarch i386 -3 wine '<path to Diablo III.exe or Battle.net Launcher.exe>'
2. How to fix audio with PulseAudio
Edit /etc/pulse/daemon.conf and add
default-fragment-size-msec = 5
After that the volume was really low and it appears that pulse volumes bars per application. so just clicking on the sound Icon, tools icon and going to Applications tab allowed me to adjust the volume of the game.
Tested on Alllen and Heath Zed 10FX USB sound card.