- german version 1.08j ('cause that's what I own)
- installation with unshield
- playing (I disabled music in gothic.ini first, otherwise it wouldn't start. Also I installed directx 8)
- loading/saving (I had to create a "Saves" directory first, though)
-sound (though choppy sometimes, especially during dialogs. I had to activate subtitles)
- Videos (incredibly slow, but working)
What does not
- Normal installation
- Music (scroll down, there is a comment describing how to get it to work, I always turned it off anyway, so I didn't care about it)
- enjoying videos (they're far too slow to really watch them, as a matter of fact I deleted them)
- changing resolution ingame (Changed it in gothic.ini then)
What was not tested
- playing through the whole game (I'm in Chapter 3 right now)
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Jun 05 2018||3.8||Yes||Yes||Yes||Silver||tane|
|Show||Gentoo Linux x86_64||Feb 28 2017||2.2||Yes||Yes||Gold||Michael B|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Aug 17 2014||1.7.24||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Show||Gentoo Linux||Mar 31 2012||1.5.1||Yes||Yes||Gold||Michael B|
|Show||openSUSE 12.1 x86_64||Mar 18 2012||1.4||Yes||Yes||Silver||an anonymous user|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|16766||Gothic: drawing error on initial window resize to fullscreen (title bar)||REOPENED||View|
|43280||No music in Gothic 1 (incomplete dmusic/dmsynth implementation)||NEW||View|
|50370||Gothic 1 doesn't start correctly when screen resolution of the game matches display resolution||NEW||View|
If you want to start Gothic with music enabled, you have to use the following native dlls: dmband.dll, dmime.dll, dmloader.dll, dmstyle.dll, dmsynth.dll, dmusic.dll and dmcompos.dll.
The easiest way is to use winetricks:
$ wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks
$ sh winetricks directmusic
sets more DLL overrides than necessary. In my case I had to remove the
override for 'dsound' (winecfg -> Libraries) or the
game would crash at the main menu: "C: failed to initialize sound, MSS
reported: Broken waveOut driver â€“ â€™buffer doneâ€™ flag never set".
Otherwise if you don't want to use native dlls, you have to disable music by setting 'musicEnabled=0' in [Gothic_Install_Path]/system/gothic.ini .
It is possible to run Gothic using the open source graphics stack, at least with Intel and Radeon cards. The "i965" (Intel GMA X3100) and "r300" (ATi Radeon 9500 - X1950) drivers are reported to work, others will probably work as well, so please test it and leave a comment below.
What you need is S3 Texture Compression (S3TC), a technology covered by a patent which makes things complicated.
You can enable S3TC support using the GUI tool 'driconf' or by adding an entry to your ~/.drirc file. DriConf should be easier..
There are issues, for example, the floor might be invisible. Also the menu / all fonts might be invisible when you start the game and suddenly appear after some minutes of playing. Leave a comment :)