- Installation: Installs correctly with no discernible installation problems.
- Registration by Internet: Works correctly.
- Program Updates: In-program update to “UFile 2013 Update v.17.20” worked nicely without hiccups, unlike previous years. Perhaps it is the latest wine-1.7 that I am using? :-)
- “Interview”: Works great!
- “Results”: Works great!
- “Tax return”: Works great!
- Save tax return as PDF file: Works great!
- NetFile to the CRA - manual: Generates a .TAX file that is perfectly identical to that generated on Windows 7.
What does not
- UFile Quickstart tutorial: Opens a dialog window, but it is empty inside. Maybe I had not installed some prerequisite?
- Context-sensitive help: Opens the UFile help dialog window, but the content window is empty. However, text shows up if I “Show” the help index and click the links therein.
- Print tax returns and forms: It does not seem to actually print, though it could be my faulty set up too.
- NetFile to the CRA - automatic: My actual automatic NETFILE submission, though successful (as I found out later), resulted in a misleading “NetFile status” error message:
The tax return was rejected by the government.
Please review the CRA's response below, fix the errors and try again, or file a printed return.
|The system has encountered an EFILE transmission problem.Please try again later.
Err# 0x80004005 Unknown error 0x80004005Unable to continue
However, it was later discovered that the NETFILE submission was successful, as netfile.gc.ca told me:
- We were unable to process your return.
- Our records indicate that we have already received your return, and your confirmation number is
Note, however, if the user were to “NetFile to the CRA - automatic” repeatedly, say, more than 5 times, the CRA will lock the page, and the user will have to call 1-800-714-7257 (e-Services Helpdesk for individuals) to request an unlock.
What was not tested
I tested UFile 2013 with a clean Wine installation: I erased ~/.wine/ before running "wine setup.exe" from the CD-ROM "/media/username/UFile 2013" directory.