Sold at least in Europe, contains:
Patched using the bundled updater to:
Maybe everything thanks to vulkan. I loaded large maps several times, tried the duel mode, no lags occurred.
Reproduction instructions inside Workarounds box.
What does not
The game stutters heavily when no vulkan is used.
I added a d9vk dll for Heroes 5 and the lags disappeared.
Problems with scrolling are still present, though.
1. WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/heroes64 winecfg
2. Set Windows version to XP
3. navigate to the dvd where the "AutoRun.exe" is
4. Install: WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/heroes64 wine AutoRun.exe
5. Using vulkan: WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/heroes64 winetricks --gui
6. Select standard wineprefix and install dll "d9vk" (latest)
7. Install d9vk040 (0.40)
Now the settings are locked in-game
However, you can change them in: $HOME/Dokumente/My Games/Heroes of Might and Magic V/Profiles/Maik/user.cfg
before starting Heroes
This are the relevant changes for graphics:
setvar gfx_anisotropic_filter = 8
setvar gfx_depth_tex_resolution = 1024
setvar gfx_fsaa = 4
setvar gfx_fullscreen = 1
setvar gfx_quality = 4
setvar gfx_resolution = 1920x1080
Repeat for every start:
8. Navigate to the game folder: cd $HOME/heroes64/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Ubisoft/Heroes of Might and Magic V/bin
9. Start the game via: WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=$HOME/heroes64 wine H5_GAME.exe
What was not tested
After I had good experiences with Steams Proton, I added a d9vk dll for Heroes 5 and the lags disappeared. Problems with scrolling are still present, though.
I use a NVIDIA graphics card and an AMD processor.
For this, Vulkan must be installed (also for the Nvidia card).
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Arch Linux x86_64||May 24 2020||5.8-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Maik Fischer|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.04 "Trusty" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 20 2014||1.7.18||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Robert Zenz|