1. Installation went fine (win2000).
2. Running the game (win 2000):
- Use native dinput.dll (in my case version 5.03.2600.2180). This will solve a weird mouse problem. (Put dinput.dll in the ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 folder.)
- Start the game with the parameters shown below. That way, you won't have to use a nocd-crack.
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="dinput=n" wine lithtech.exe -windowtitle "No One Lives Forever" -rez NOLF.rez -rez NOLF2.rez -rez NOLFdll.rez -rez NOLFl.rez
- You can also add all configuration data. The complete line that worked for me:
WINEDEBUG=-all WINEDLLOVERRIDES="dinput=n" wine lithtech.exe -windowtitle "No One Lives Forever" -rez NOLF.rez -rez NOLF2.rez -rez NOLFdll.rez -rez NOLFl.rez -rez custom +multiplayer 0 +DisableMusic 0 +DisableSound 0 +DisableFog 1 +DisableJoystick 1 +DisableTripBuf 0 +DisableHardwareCursor 0 +DynamicLoadScreen 0 ++RenderDll d3d.ren ++CardDesc display ++Renderer "DirectDraw HAL" ++screenwidth 1400 ++screenheight 1050 ++bitdepth 16 ++PerformanceLevel 2
- Even when starting the game with those parameters, you'll probably still have to set some options from within the game menus.
- Choosing the hardware cursor will speed things up considerably.
- You can't set widescreen resolutions (1400x1050 is the highest setting possible).
- Bitdepth 32 caused a few graphical errors.
- I also tried to run the game with wine 0.9.47. Everything worked, but a bit too fast. Result was that speech was cut off in animations, because the video ended before the audio could. (I haven't tried the game with a *clean* 0.9.47 install though).
What does not
Nothing (as far as I can tell).
What was not tested
Finishing the game. Multiplayer (patch 1.3/1.4).
- This game is much, much fun :)
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||openSUSE 12.1||Jan 30 2012||1.3.36||Yes||Yes||Bronze||George|
|Show||Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 24 2009||1.1.24||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Show||Gentoo Linux||Mar 19 2009||1.1.17||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Concern McGully|
|Show||Gentoo Linux x86_64||May 22 2008||1.0-rc1||Yes||Yes||Silver||an anonymous user|
|Current||Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Oct 22 2007||0.9.46.||Yes||Yes||Gold||happyhamster|
winetricks dsound directmusicAfterwards, open up winecfg, go to the "Libraries" tab and set dsound to Builtin.
Â$ wine lithtech.exe -rez rezfile1.rez -rez rezfile2.rez ...This script should wÂork with all version of NOLF:
$ wine lithtech.exe $(for f in $(ls|grep -i rez$); do echo "-rez $f"; done)
++screenwidth "1920" ++screenheight "1080" ++screendepth "32"However, this stretches the game. A better widescreen fix is available here, but you can't play online with it.