- Configuring keyboard
- Joystick works
- Background music (midi) and sound effects
- Gameplay is smooth and works as should
What does not
- CD installation (but has a workaround)
- Fullscreen mode
- Help files are not always properly rendered (images are left out, text is wrongly aligned, etc.)
- Sound effects seem a little out of sync from time to time
What was not tested
- The game disc includes a whole bunch of Win32S compatibility files to make the game run in a Win3x environment. I didn't test any of these.
Apart from the title screen, this game seems exactly the same as the Genesis/Mega Drive version.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Debian GNU/Linux 8.x "Jessie" x86_64||Aug 18 2014||1.6.2||No, but has workaround||Yes||Gold||Bill Carson|
The game starts with:
fixme:process:LoadModule Strange error set by CreateProcess: 193
this doesn't seem to cause any trouble though.
The cd installer hangs after copying the main files with the following error:
warn:heap:GlobalLock (0xc02ec02e): Page fault occurred ! Caused by bug ?
+ a heap of win32s errors
Presumably this could be fixed by installing win32s under wine, but a simpler solution consists of manually unpacking the remaining files. The only required files are:
The sprites and sound file can just be copied from the disc. The other ones are compressed with a simple LZ77 algorithm. You can use the following program to uncompress them: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/mscompress.htm
Alternatively, you could look for the AIL and WinG libraries yourself.
To make the background music work, be sure to have a working midi sequencer running on the background (TiMidity + ALSA seems to work for me). Mind that TiMidity by default takes full control over the ALSA output (so sound effects won't be heard): change the output to 'default' (or any other dmix sink you have defined)