Downloading PDF and ePub format ebooks from local library.
What does not
Selecting 'Full Screen' from the menu - all mouse input freezes at that point (press Esc to exit full screen mode).
What was not tested
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Ubuntu 14.10 "Utopic" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 19 2015||1.8||Yes||Yes||Silver||calicoharry|
|Show||Ubuntu 12.04 "Precise" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 19 2015||1.7.55||Yes||Yes||Silver||calicoharry|
|Show||Arch Linux||Mar 29 2015||1.7.39||Yes||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 15.04 "Vivid" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Feb 27 2015||1.7.34||Yes||Yes||Silver||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 14.10 "Utopic" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jan 12 2015||1.7.33||Yes||Yes||Gold||snejjj|
Based on biesta's comment:
# This is a detailed 'howto'-document,
# how to install ADE-4.xx on *ubuntu-14.04* step by step in a console.
# Prerequisite: (x)ubuntu-14.04, system-update if required.
# Install the winbind package, if not yet done:
$ sudo apt-get install winbind
# Check if wine (actual version) is available:
$ wine --version
# response should be 1.7.33 (or newer?)
# install wine if required:
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install wine1.7
# To accept the License agreement, press Tab + Enter.
# Check if winetricks (actual version) is available:
$ winetricks -V
# ...response should be 20141125 (or newer?)
# install winetricks if required:
$ wget winetricks.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/winetricks
$ sudo cp -f winetricks /usr/bin
$ sudo cp -f winetricks /usr/bin/X11
$ sudo chmod 555 /usr/bin/winetricks
$ sudo chmod 555 /usr/bin/X11/winetricks
# install WINEPREFIX + 32bit-environment:
$ export WINEPREFIX=~/wine32a # or similar, e.g. ~/.wine32b
$ WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
# ****** IMPORTANT: ******
# The winecfg-command opens a GUI-window,
# with a drop-down element labelled "Windows Versions" (or similar).
# Default position is "Windows XP".
# Do NOT change this or anything else in the GUI, or the installation will fail.
$ winetricks -q corefonts dotnet40
# download + install ADE-4.xx (actual version?)
# im your browser: from
$ wine ~/Downloads/ADE_4.0_Installer.exe
Note: The writer of this how-to (lafon) is recreating the steps outlined by Lukasz with a KOBO eReader. However the steps should be the same for all similar devices.
Note: Do NOT open ADE until clearly outlined in this how-to!
1) Mount your device and make note of it's mount point (This needs to be remembered exactly). For me this was /media/KOBOeReader/
2) The next step is to unmount your eReader (This is because winecfg cannot seem to keep the changes applied if the device is mounted).
3) Next open winecfg and switch to the [Drives] tab.
4) On the [Drives] tab click the "Show Advanced" button.
Note: As outlined in the comment by Kevin, WINE does not seem to have persistent drive mapping while the device is mounted. Therefore you have 2 options. Either the messy way, which is to keep the winecfg window open while ADE runs, or unmount and create a persistent entry.
5) Click the "Add" button.
6) Choose a letter to map your device to (I used "O:" because that was the only letter available to me.)
7) In the "Path" box, type the mount point from step 1.
8) In the "Type" drop-down menu, choose "Floppy disk" as the option.
9) Click "OK".
10) Open ADE. If everything went correctly ADE should ask you to authorize your eReader with your Adobe account (if you authorized your computer anonymously you will be asked to authorize your computer too). To read eBooks on your device simply drag-and-drop books from your ADE library to the entry in the left pane of ADE that corresponds with your eReader.
11) Finally remember to safely dismount your device from your computer.