Skype 7.x for PC features a new revamped UI, better UI customization and touch support.
This version of Skype works very unreliably under Wine: you cannot login normally, it often crashes, video calls do not work, it may open a certain website multiple times. Your best bet will be to use a native, albeit very old version or use its web browser version at web.skype.com.
What does not
What was not tested
- Install Internet Explorer 6 for native urlmon.dll - Set Windows version to win 8 for sound - Use /username: /password: arguments to log in - Skype uses ~10% of the CPU - Ads don't work (Yay!) - Sound is glitchy To the submitter: please specify the version of Skype you used.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Arch Linux x86_64||Feb 23 2017||2.1||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Kacper|
|Show||Fedora 25 x86_64||Feb 12 2017||2.0||No||Not installable||Garbage||Iain Wilson|
|Show||CentOS 6.8||Feb 10 2017||2.0||Yes||No||Garbage||Artem S. Tashkinov|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Dec 08 2016||1.9.24||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Fabian Maurer|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Jun 16 2016||1.9.11||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Kacper|In order to run Skype 7 in Wine you have to modify Skype's lnk file and add /legacylogin parameter or you won't be able to login. In order to enable audio in Skype you have to change Windows version to 8.1 using winecfg. Updated how-to for most recent Skype releases:
For best results create a separate fresh wineprefix.
1. Download and install Skype.
2. Install Internet Explorer 8.0 using winetricks. Opt out of the improvement survey and do not install updates (it won't work anyway).
3. Run winecfg and set Windows version to 8 or 8.1.
4. Modify Skype's lnk file to include your username and password:
Currently video calls don't work in Skype 7.