Skype 7.x for PC features a new revamped UI, better UI customization and touch support.
This version of Skype works very unreliably under Wine: you cannot login normally, it often crashes, video calls do not work, it may open a certain website multiple times. Your best bet will be to use a native, albeit very old version or use its web browser version at web.skype.com.
Audio and video calls, file sharing
What does not
Insert Emoticon by menu
What was not tested
1. sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds 2. sudo apt-get update 3. sudo apt-get install --install-recommends wine-devel 4. sudo apt-get install winehq-devel 5. wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks chmod +x winetricks 6. ./winetricks ie8 (Opt out of the improvement survey and do not install updates) 7. Get Skype 22.214.171.124 from here: http://www.skaip.org/skype-7-21-0-100-for-windows-desktop 8. wine Downloads/skype_126.96.36.199.exe 9. Edit desktop shortcut (eg. open with gedit). Add to the exec line env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 and /username:"your.username" /password:"your_password" eg. Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/your.name/.wine" env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 wine C:\\\\Program\\ Files\\\\Skype\\\\Phone\\\\Skype.exe /username:"your.username" /password:"your_password" 10. ./winetricks -> Select the default wine prefix -> Change settings -> Tick sound=alsa 11. winecfg -> Change Windows version to "8" to have sound 12. Run Skype Extra info: crashes a lot even in normal use or under things that don't work
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Feb 23 2017||2.1||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Kacper|
|Show||Fedora 25 x86_64||Feb 12 2017||2.0||No||Not installable||Garbage||Iain Wilson|
|Show||CentOS 6.8||Feb 10 2017||2.0||Yes||No||Garbage||Artem S. Tashkinov|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Dec 08 2016||1.9.24||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Fabian Maurer|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Jun 16 2016||1.9.11||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Kacper|In order to run Skype 7 in Wine you have to modify Skype's lnk file and add /legacylogin parameter or you won't be able to login. In order to enable audio in Skype you have to change Windows version to 8.1 using winecfg. Updated how-to for most recent Skype releases:
For best results create a separate fresh wineprefix.
1. Download and install Skype.
2. Install Internet Explorer 8.0 using winetricks. Opt out of the improvement survey and do not install updates (it won't work anyway).
3. Run winecfg and set Windows version to 8 or 8.1.
4. Modify Skype's lnk file to include your username and password:
Currently video calls don't work in Skype 7.