This is about the Uplay version. Tested on a fresh 64-bit wine prefix. I Installed corefonts with winetricks for the Uplay-client.
- Download and installation with the Uplay-client
- Playing the game in singleplayer mode
- I played about two hours into the game and it ran without problems
What does not
- the uplay game launcher tries to install .Net 3.5 which does not work.
There is an error message box - titled "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Setup" - popping up saying
"You must use 'Turn Windows Features on or off' in the Control Panel to install or configure Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5"
- in-game sound
There is sound in the intro and the menu. As soon as the game is started, in-game sound is gone.
- First, install corefonts, xact and the most recent dxvk with winetricks. Corefonts are needed by the Uplay-client and the other two were needed to run the game.
- I was able to work around the above problems by setting watch_dogs.exe to windows xp with winecfg.
After doing that .Net 3.5 did install. This took quite some time because the installer was downloading roughly 240MB from Microsoft to install this package. Just be patient.
Starting the game in windows xp mode was also the workaround to fix the missing in-game sound.
What was not tested
- AMD FX-8320
- AMD Radeon RX580
- amdgpu open-source driver
- openSUSE Tumbleweed 20180926 64-bit
- Kernel 4.18.8-1-default 64-bit
- Mesa 18.3 with LLVM 8.0
- Plasma 5.13.5
- wine 3.17
- uplay client from Thursday, September 27th 2018
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 12 2019||4.0||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Clerc Mathias|
|Current||openSUSE Tumbleweed (rolling release)||Oct 03 2018||3.17||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Freigeist|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux Unstable "Sid" x86_64||May 04 2018||3.6-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Bronze||debianxfce|
|Show||Manjaro Linux||Nov 28 2017||2.21-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Bronze||RTheren|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Nov 12 2017||2.20-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Bronze||Technohacker|