What does not
What was not tested
Some elements to be installed with winetricks for steam installation to work then FA to work:
"winetricks tahoma flash vcrun2010 dotnet40 corefonts d3dx9 d3dx9_36 xact"
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||macOS Mojave 10.14||Apr 19 2019||4.6||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||KÃ©vin Renard|
|Show||Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" amd64 (+variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 23 2018||3.10||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Eonfge|
|Show||Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" x86_64||Dec 28 2017||2.21-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Silver||James Edmonds|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Dec 02 2017||2.21||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Fabian Dittmann|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Sep 29 2015||1.7.51||N/A||Yes||Gold||0xReki|
The Forged Alliance Forever Community has some great ressources about running SC:FA and the multiplayer client under linux.
Forum Megathread: http://forums.faforever.com/vi...
LINUX TRY FIRST
$ winetricks d3dx9
- replace the resolution with the resolution of your screen and execute
$ wine explorer /desktop=FA,1920x1080 ForgedAlliance.exe
- you may need wine32 bit and winetricks:
$ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && apt-get update && apt-get install wine32 winetricks
- you may also need vcrun2010, dotnet40, corefonts, d3dx9, d3dx9_36
$ export WINE=wine32
$ winetricks vcrun2010 dotnet40 corefonts d3dx9 d3dx9_36
- on older wine versions, X3DAudio1_2.dll in wine/system32 is missing/empty using the one from windows does work
- set your vram size in winetricks if you are on integrated graphics (use 512 if in doubt)
$ winetricks videomemorysize=$YOURVRAM
Summary of Common Errors on Linux
- AudioDLL blablabla is missing -> wine for WHATEVER reasonsometimes creates an empty version of that dll in .wine/dosdevices/ if you try to start the game without that dll, you have to replace it with the correct dll and start again
- videomemorysize might default to 256, that will cause the game hang during intro sequence or lead to blackscreen as soon as the game started see Linux-Extended Section on how to fix that
- cant compile carthographic.fx/cant load it -> you forgot to install d3dx9_36
- wine asking for some XML microsoft parser -> just follow wine instructions
- wine saying that .wine is a 64 bit installation -> delete .wine, move it or select different director (I suppose there is an option for that)
- general displaying problems -> try to emulate a virtual desktop, this will fix it for many windowmangers: $ winecfg
- i recommend you set the resolution ingame,
If you know what you are doing you can try this to imrpove CPU-wise performance:
$ taskset -cp 0 (pgrep ForgedAlliance); sudo renice -2 -p (pgrep ForgedAlliance)
Depends on driver/card. If SupCom doesn't show you a second adapter, short and long answer is no.
Can I play online with linux?
Yes, but it might be a little tricky to get the FAForever-Client to run on linux.
An easy solution could be to use the inofficial java client:
Check the main Linux Thread on FAF Forums for usefull information: