The Sims 4.
Basic modes tested:
Expansion packs tested:
Game packs tested:
Stuff packs tested:
So far I've played for roughly 4 hours and the game works fine. Glitches are primarily graphical and aren't a huge inconvenience (see What does not work section).
What does not
These installation instructions are expanded upon DeadTOm's instructions based on what I did: https://appdb.winehq.org/objec...
1. Startwith an empty wineprefix (make an empty folder, enter the folder from your terminal, and run `export WINEPREFIX=$(pwd)`)
2. Run `winetricks corefonts arial vcrun2010 vcrun2013 dxvk d9vk`
3. Download the Origin installer.
In a separate terminal, run `while true; do inotifywait Origin; chmod
u+w Origin; done` (Make sure you have inotify-tools installed or this
will error out)
5. Run the Origin installer.
6. Open Origin and download Sims 4.
At some point during the download you may get a "We've encountered a problem" modal. If the downloads are still continuing, leave the modal up until the downloads complete, as you may get MANY of these. Make sure the inotifywait loop is still working and sending out responses.
7. After the downloads have completed, click "Close" on each "We've encountered a problem" modal that appears. The more expansion packs you have, the more of these will appear
8. After this, Origin will use up an enormous amount of CPU time and disk I/O reading your game files to verify them. Let it do this - it can take a fairly long time. Once it's completed this, it will ask you what language you'd like to use and will then finalize the install. You will need to be online (and have the inotifywait loop mentioned before running) for all of this.
9. Disable Origin In-game before playing.
What was not tested
Not yet tested:
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Manjaro Linux||Nov 16 2020||5.20-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Steven|
|Current||KDE Neon 5.18||Sep 12 2020||5.17||No, but has workaround||Yes||Yes||Silver||Alex Lowe|
|Show||Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 20 2020||5.0.2||Yes||Yes||Yes||Silver||Tyson Roberts|
|Show||Fedora 32 x86_64||Jul 21 2020||5.12-staging||Yes||No||No||Garbage||Jonas Thiem|
|Show||Gentoo Linux x86_64||Aug 04 2020||5.0.1||Yes||No||Yes||Garbage||PhobosK|