WineHQ

MusicBee



MusicBee 3 is a redesign of the user interface.

Application Details:

Version: 3.x
License:
URL: http://www.getmusicbee.com/
Votes: 2
Latest Rating: Gold
Latest Wine Version Tested: 7.13

Maintainers: About Maintainership

Free Download Main page

Test Results

Selected Test Results

What works

Everything I have tried!

  • Scanning / importing tracks
  • Reorganizing tracks based on rules
  • Playback
  • Notification icon in system tray, and all of its functions
  • Plugins
    • last.fm (Scrobble / Love tracks, sync play count and love from Last.FM)
    • MusicBee Remote (using android app, v1.5.1, no issues)
  • Drag/drop tracks into playlists, and reordering (see note: must used MusicBee 3.0!)
  • Right-click menus (haven't found any issues)
  • Playlist Manager
  • Auto DJ (sucks, though)
  • Layout Configuration
    • All panel configuration worked
    • Custom font selection (works with dotnet48 / gdiplus - without them the config doesn't stick)

What does not

  • Crashes if you go to Preferences > File Converters

Workarounds

  • Install dotnet48
  • Install gdiplus

What was not tested

  • Lyrics
  • Theatre Mode

Hardware tested

Graphics:

  • GPU: Intel
  • Driver: open source

Additional Comments

  • Using MusicBee 3.0 because later versions break track drag/drop in Wine (can't reorder tracks, this is a deal breaker!)
    • This issue is present in all versions of Wine (tested up to 7.13)
    • This issue is present in all later versions of MusicBee, 3.1 - 3.4 tested
  • You must install dotnet48 and gdiplus to work around these issues:
    • Can't use custom font (doesn't crash, but doesn't actually work either)
    • Crash when adding text to Moods tag (2nd tag tab)
    • Random crashes after a period (no particular action triggers crash, just happens randomly after a few hours)
  • Personal theme preference...
    • Applied a dark theme to wine (google it, there's a registry key)
    • Set DPI set to 120 in winecfg > display
    • MusicBee theme DarkORANGE
    • MusicBee custom font "DejaVu Sans Condensed" at 11pt

selected in Test Results table below
Operating systemTest dateWine versionInstalls?Runs?Used
Workaround?
RatingSubmitter
CurrentopenSUSE Tumbleweed (rolling release)Aug 04 20227.13Yes Yes YesGoldPaul Rafferty 
ShowEndeavourOSNov 22 20216.22Yes Yes NoSilverngoomie 
ShowEndeavourOSOct 21 20216.18Yes Yes YesBronzengoomie 
ShowLinux Mint 19.1 TessaFeb 21 20194.0Yes Yes YesBronzeKiraTM 
ShowUbuntu 17.10 "Artful" amd64 (+variants like Kubuntu)Apr 01 20183.0Yes Yes YesGoldEonfge 

Known Bugs

Bug # Description Status Resolution Other apps affected
51538 Multiple games fail to launch from NTFS partitions after Linux 5.13 RESOLVED NOTOURBUG View
52078 MusicBee: exception when attempting to drag tabs ( (QueryInterface for the interface with IID '{83E07D0D-0C5F-4163-BF1A-60B274051E40}' gives Exception E_NOINTERFACE)) NEW View
53019 MusicBee: inconsistent CJK/non-Latin support with Tahoma, no support on any other font. UNCONFIRMED View

Show all bugs

Comments

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. WineHQ is not responsible for what they say.

Things that were not tested
by KiraTM on Thursday October 21st 2021, 11:41
Hey, just to give some additional info. I'm still using the installation of MusicBee I set up here a few years ago: appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=33888&iTestingId=105161
I switched to the WINE 6 in the meantime and kept MusicBee up-to-date.

- Encoding music is working without issues (I mostly convert flac to mp3).
- Syncing to devices does not work (through MTP) - I played around this topic for several weeks and ended up syncing through Windows whenever I boot up the OS
-- however, you can sync to a folder ("virtual device") and rsync this directory to your phone

The most recent version 3.4.7805 is working for me. As mentioned, I set up the software a few years ago and just updated the program through the installer from the forum. :)
RE: Things that were not tested
by ngoomie on Tuesday November 23rd 2021, 1:35
I ended up getting the most recent version working too -- apparently the issue was I didn't have the right version of .NET installed when I thought I definitely did...oops. I even somehow managed to get it working with *the wrong version of .NET* for a little while by manually extracting 3.4.7805 over my initial install, though now I actually have the correct version of .NET installed lol
Thank you for the comment!
Back