MusicBee 3 is a redesign of the user interface.

Application Details:

Version: 3.x
Votes: 2
Latest Rating: Silver
Latest Wine Version Tested: 8.6-staging

Maintainers: About Maintainership

No maintainers. Volunteer today!

Free Download Main page

Test Results

Old test results
The test results you have selected are very old and may not represent the current state of Wine.
Selected Test Results

What works

  • Importing and listening to music
  • Downloading and listening to podcasts
  • Automatic imports to inbox
  • ReplayGain volume analysis
  • Creating playlists and auto-playlists
    • Dragging and dropping into playlists now works
    • Adding custom icons for playlists also works
  • Now Playing/Theater Mode views
  • Mini and compact player window modes
  • Customising the player and its views
  • Skins
  • Plugin usage works, provided the plugin is installed when MusicBee is closed.

    • As always if they work varies by what plugin is used. In my case, I used ScrobblerBrainz, which works mostly but does have issues with mangled submissions sometimes. Museexmatch works, too.
  • Built-in visualisations
  • DSPs and equaliser
  • Editing tags, as well as using custom and virtual tags.
  • File converter preferences, when the wmp11 verb is installed via winetricks.

What does not

  • Font redirection is still broken, which leads to anything not in the current font's scripts being shown as boxes.
    • This is prevalant in Chinese, Japanese and Korean scripts. See bug 53019.
  • MusicBee will freak out if the filenames in your library don't stick to the constraints of NTFS (e.g. uses prohibited characters). This is visible by MusicBee asking to remove these files as it can't find them.
  • When hovering over anything that activates a tooltip, said tooltip will sometimes steal focus from the main window.
  • Dragging the tabs to re-organise them still doesn't work, throws up a System.NotImplementedException.
  • Repainting issues - random black splotches and some UI elements will appear stuck unless "repainted". Example, the track details pane will get stuck, and switching between the lyrics and details on that pane will bring it back.
  • Certain album covers also appear as not having album art even though they do when exported.
  • Disabling skinning window borders or using the Windows skin will result in no borders being rendered at all
  • MilkDrop visualisation plugin won't work. Would error out about being unable to detect Shader Model 2.0 support with a garbled GPU name. With dx3d9 installed, it will complain about DirectX failing to initialise, code 2154.
    • This is a mixed bag on WinAmp and WACUP, too, so it might be a MilkDrop problem rather than a MusicBee one.


  • Font redirection: Use a TrueType font that has all of the scripts you want. In my case, I used WenQuanYi Micro Hei.
  • Tooltip focus stealing: (KDE Plasma only) Make a new window rule targeting MusicBee specifically that gives it high focus protection.
  • Tab dragging: You'll have to just remove then re-add tabs in the order you want.
  • NTFS constraints: No workaround, make sure your tagger has an option for "Windows compatibility" if it handles file naming (i.e. NTFS compatibility) and keep to NTFS' constraints even if you're using a non-NTFS filesystem.
  • Window borders: No workaround, keep to the borders provided by the skins.

I'm not exactly sure on what the issue with the album covers is, I'll have to do more testing there. The repainting issue may be an issue with WINE rather than MusicBee itself.

What was not tested

  • AAC playback.
    • According to the developer, you need bass_aac.dll for AAC playback on systems that don't support it OOTB.
  • CD ripping
  • scrobbling
  • Filters
  • Automatic import to library
  • Import from WMP/iTunes
  • Internet stream playback
  • Plugin import via MusicBee (it's also quite finicky on Windows if I recall)
  • Most of the options in the Tools sub-menu (having never needed to use them)

Hardware tested


  • GPU: AMD
  • Driver: open source

Additional Comments

  • WINEARCH: win32
  • Winetricks packages installed: gdiplus, xmllite, dotnet48, allfonts, wmp11, dx3d9, dxvk
    • allfonts contains the relevant fonts needed to work around the CJK problem.
  • Desktop environment: KDE Plasma 5.27.4

selected in Test Results table below
Operating systemTest dateWine versionInstalls?Runs?Used
CurrentEndeavourOSApr 27 20238.6-stagingYes Yes YesSilverVictini 
ShowopenSUSE Tumbleweed (rolling release)Mar 06 20238.2Yes Yes YesGoldVaishnav 
ShowopenSUSE Tumbleweed (rolling release)Feb 21 20238.2Yes No NoGarbageVaishnav 
ShowFedora 37 x86_64Jan 08 20238.0-rc3-stagingNo, but has workaround Yes YesBronzeVaishnav 
ShowopenSUSE Leap 15.4Jan 19 20237.0.1Yes Yes YesGoldVaishnav 

Known Bugs

Bug # Description Status Resolution Other apps affected
51538 Multiple games fail to launch from NTFS partitions after Linux 5.13 RESOLVED NOTOURBUG View
52078 MusicBee: exception when attempting to drag tabs ( (QueryInterface for the interface with IID '{83E07D0D-0C5F-4163-BF1A-60B274051E40}' gives Exception E_NOINTERFACE)) NEW View
53019 MusicBee: inconsistent CJK/non-Latin support with Tahoma, no support on any other font. UNCONFIRMED View

Show all bugs


Comments Disabled

Comments for this application have been disabled because there are no maintainers.