The latest version of Star Wars: The Old Republic
Everything works! Been running this release for several weeks and have tested all aspects of the game. This latest release of Wine has been the most stable for me in all my testing.
What does not
So, I encountered three problems with the game on my modern iMac. Fortunately, the problems are very, very minor.
1. Brightness is too dark.
2. Brightness resets upon exiting.
3. Game will sometimes lock-up/crash.
4. Installation won't work as others have reported.
1. I had to tweak the .ini file and set the GammaRamp to 1.4 to get a decent brightness.
2. If I re-select my resolution in the game settings and apply, correct brightness goes into effect.
3. The crash appears related to SWTOR's memory issues [which are also prevalent in Windows, too]. To prevent crashes, I prefer starting SWTOR when my Mac is freshly booted. Or, run a memory cleaner like Doctor Cleaner just before starting the game. Do not run any apps in the background. The game does not crash for me in this case.
4. Installation can be done the ways others have reported, but I used PlayonMac to install.
What was not tested
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Fedora 33 x86_64||Dec 26 2020||6.0-rc3-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||aililoh|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Jun 28 2020||5.9-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||spyrou007|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Dec 21 2019||4.21||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Ewan|
|Show||Fedora 31 x86_64||Nov 27 2019||4.20-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||John Bach|
|Current||macOS Mojave 10.14||Mar 30 2019||4.5||No, but has workaround||Yes||Yes||Silver||Jerry|
With wine 6.0 staging everything works fine, but you may need to run:
winetricks d3dcompiler_47 d3dx9_41