The remastered version. Since only the latest release will ever be supported, this version tracks latest (much like StarCraft II).
Switching between widow mode and full screen (alt-enter).
Resizing non-full screen window works (a little stuttery, but manageable).
Battlenet correctly shuts down when closed (used to stay running in background on older wine versions).
All menus work correctly and at full speed!
What does not
What was not tested
Sym linking game into ~/.wine/c_drive/Program Files works flawlessly allowing for easy/clean .wine refreshes when needed.
Works great on hybrid laptop with both the Intel Skylake and NVidia GPU's.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" i386 (+variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 09 2018||3.13-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Darin Miller|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Jul 14 2018||3.12-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Maciej Stanczew|
|Show||Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" i386 (+variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 30 2018||3.11-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Andrei P|
|Show||Ubuntu 16.04 "Xenial" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 13 2018||3.7-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Igor Polyakov|
|Show||Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" x86_64||May 13 2018||3.7||Yes||No||No||Garbage||luke|
These instructions were tested on Ubuntu 17.04 with 64 bit WINE 2.14 Staging.
0. Follow the links to find how to get WINE Staging for your OS
1. Run winecfg and set the Windows version to Windows XP.
2. Use winetricks to install corefonts vcrun2005 vcrun2008 vcrun2015.
winetricks corefonts vcrun2005 vcrun2008 vcrun2015
3. Install the Blizzard App.
4. Once the Blizzard App has been installed, open the Blizzard App and login with your account.
5. From within the Blizzard App select Starcraft from along the left menu, then click the install button.
6. Once installed, Starcraft Remastered should launch and run just fine.
To avoid the game crashing immediately at start-up, just set the windows version to Windows 2003.