The remastered version. Since only the latest release will ever be supported, this version tracks latest (much like StarCraft II).
Switching between widow mode and full screen (alt-enter).
Resizing non-full screen window works (a little stuttery, but manageable).
Battlenet correctly shuts down when closed (used to stay running in background on older wine versions).
All menus work correctly and at full speed!
What does not
What was not tested
Sym linking game into ~/.wine/c_drive/Program Files works flawlessly allowing for easy/clean .wine refreshes when needed.
Works great on hybrid laptop with both the Intel Skylake and NVidia GPU's.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 08 2021||6.8||Yes||Yes||Yes||Garbage||Scott|
|Show||NixOS 20.03||Dec 29 2020||5.0.3-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Alexander|
|Show||Debian 10.x "Buster"||Oct 09 2020||5.18-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Fefu|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Apr 26 2020||5.6-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Anton Johansson|
|Show||Gentoo Linux||Apr 08 2020||5.5||Yes||No||No||Garbage||Teodoro Maximilian|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|43011||StarCraft Brood War 1.18 significant delays in CEF Browser||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|46624||StarCraft: Remastered Edition - Real-Time Lighting option is greyed-out||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|50365||Starcraft Remastered black screen on launch or window only mode||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|51229||StarCraft Remastered locks up when navigating multiplayer menus||RESOLVED||FIXED||View|
These instructions were tested on Ubuntu 17.04 with 64 bit WINE 2.14 Staging.
0. Follow the links to find how to get WINE Staging for your OS
1. Run winecfg and set the Windows version to Windows XP.
2. Use winetricks to install corefonts vcrun2005 vcrun2008 vcrun2015.
winetricks corefonts vcrun2005 vcrun2008 vcrun2015
3. Install the Blizzard App.
4. Once the Blizzard App has been installed, open the Blizzard App and login with your account.
5. From within the Blizzard App select Starcraft from along the left menu, then click the install button.
6. Once installed, Starcraft Remastered should launch and run just fine.
To avoid the game crashing immediately at start-up, just set the windows version to Windows 2003.