The remastered version. Since only the latest release will ever be supported, this version tracks latest (much like StarCraft II).
- Installed using the Battle.net application
- Works perfectly out of the box at the native resolution.
- Cinematics work
- Offline gameplay works
- Changing settings works
What does not
What was not tested
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Gentoo Linux x86_64||Oct 31 2019||4.18-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||nva|
|Show||Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" i386 (+variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 09 2018||3.13-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Darin Miller|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Jul 14 2018||3.12-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Maciej Stanczew|
|Show||Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" i386 (+variants like Kubuntu)||Jun 30 2018||3.11-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Andrei P|
|Show||Ubuntu 16.04 "Xenial" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||May 13 2018||3.7-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Platinum||Igor Polyakov|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|29168||Multiple games and applications need realtime updates to KSYSTEM_TIME members in KUSER_SHARED_DATA (Star Wars: The Old Republic game client, Blizzard games, GO 1.4+ runtime)||STAGED||View|
|43011||StarCraft Brood War 1.18 significant delays in CEF Browser||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|43434||StarCraft: Brood War doesn't run without setting the Windows version to 2003 or Vista||REOPENED||View|
|44383||Starcraft Remastered 1.18+ no longer launching in Wine||CLOSED||ABANDONED||View|
|44466||PrtSc button crashes StarCraft||CLOSED||FIXED||View|
|46624||StarCraft: Remastered Edition - Real-Time Lighting option is greyed-out||UNCONFIRMED||View|
|47132||Starcraft Remastered not starting||CLOSED||DUPLICATE||View|
|47265||Multiple Blizzard games (Diablo III, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, Starcraft, StarCraft II, World of Warcraft) crash immediately on launch||CLOSED||FIXED||View|
These instructions were tested on Ubuntu 17.04 with 64 bit WINE 2.14 Staging.
0. Follow the links to find how to get WINE Staging for your OS
1. Run winecfg and set the Windows version to Windows XP.
2. Use winetricks to install corefonts vcrun2005 vcrun2008 vcrun2015.
winetricks corefonts vcrun2005 vcrun2008 vcrun2015
3. Install the Blizzard App.
4. Once the Blizzard App has been installed, open the Blizzard App and login with your account.
5. From within the Blizzard App select Starcraft from along the left menu, then click the install button.
6. Once installed, Starcraft Remastered should launch and run just fine.
To avoid the game crashing immediately at start-up, just set the windows version to Windows 2003.