Chat itself works fine.
What does not
Small limitations, as I don't have a Windows PC anymore, not sure if issues are WINE-specific
- After starting KakaoTalk via KDE/Plasma menu item (env WINEPREFIX="/home/michael/.wine32" wine
Menu/Programs/KakaoTalk/KakaoTalk.lnk), KakaoTalk ALWAYS starts an
update, downloading ~40MB and applies. No harm, but unnecessary network traffic and SSD wearout
- Although a korean app, no korean (hangul) letters, if used by korean contacts.
- Using icons/emoticons in chats is not possible: KakaoTalk seems to be unable to "upload" them
- same for uploading pictures: sometimes works, sometimes after upload has been nearly finished a red cross is shown (re-upload/cancel), indicating upload failed
What was not tested
free call / free video call
- GPU: Intel
- Driver: open source
Funny "bug", maybe/probably independent of WINE/Windows, pure Kakao-only:
- For using KakaoTalk PC, you MUST create a Kakao profile/login on https://accounts.kakao.com
- During signup, KakaoTalk says password length 8-32 chatacters
- tried with 32, as I'm using CryptoPass App generated passwords
- 32 characters works with https://accounts.kakao.com
- but DOES NOT work with KakaoTalk PC, too long.
- not tested to the max length, reduced to 15, works :-)