Everything except the audio quality works flawlessly:
- The game is stable and does not randomly crash.
- Graphics/fonts/sprites look fine.
- Audio works properly.
- Videos/movies are played properly.
- Framerate/performance is not severely impacted.
- Steam Achievement and Steam Cloud Synchronization works properly.
What does not
The game cannot be launched normally via Steam: it spawns a console window which disappears after a split second and does not start the game.
The game requires d3dcompiler_43 and xact to be installed via winetricks, as well as 32-bit wineprefix directory.
Workaround to start the game:
- Run steam.exe with wine and keep it running.
- While Steam is running, open wineconsole and execute start boot.bat inside the game directory to start the game launcher.
- Alternatively, run the following command to start the game directly:
- wine Game.exe steinsgate0 EN
Note that while the game needs to be launched this way, you will still need to launch the game via Steam at least once to trigger the initial dependency installations done by Steam.
What was not tested
- Anything after the prologue chapter
- Fullscreen mode
- Resolution(s) other than the default 1280x720
- GPU: AMD
- Driver: proprietary
- The workaround works as well for Wineskin-Winery 1.7 / Wineskin-2.6.2 / WS9Wine2.22.
- This setup did not require d3dcompiler_43 and xact to be installed.
- Installing Steam via winetricks will run Steam in Windows XP.
- The test is done with Steam in Windows 7, done by removing the application specific configuration in winecfg.
- At the time of writing, a workaround is required to allow Steam to download any games. (Bug #45329)
- This involves adding the list of content servers to Steam/config/config.vdf, obtainable from any working non-wine Steam installation at the same file location