English version released on Steam in May 2018.
Everything that worked in previous reports + now the game can be launched normally via Steam.
What does not
Have to install things through winetricks to launch.
The game doesn't require a 32-bit wineprefix directory anymore (and if you want to hook the game, you actually have to use 64-bit prefix, it seems)
I installed xact dinput8 d3dcompiler_43, without them the game didn't seem to launch, but I didn't try installing one at
a time, to check if some of them is not needed now. (You can install them in Winetricks>Install a windows DLL or component)
I also installed Japanese fonts for the launcher to be readable. (Winetricks>Select the default wineprefix>install a font>cjk fonts, probably, I don't remember which one exactly, and it doesn't show it somehow)
What was not tested
I only checked the very beginning of the game (including with textractor), but I think everything should be fine.
If you want to hook the game (grab the text from the game) you have to do that:
1) Install the Steam version of the game into default 64-bit prefix (the one that you open .exe files with when you double-click on them). Otherwise, if you open steins gate textractor in a custom prefix that you created through terminal, it will be opened in a Linux terminal, instead of windows cmd, and won't work properly (at least it seemed to me it didn't). There is most probably a way to open it in windows cmd in a custom bottle, but I don't know it. Make sure that that default prefix is 64 bit (it should be by default), otherwise textractors won't work too, I think. If it's not 64-bit for some reason, you will gotta change it to 64-bit somehow (I don't know how, though).
2) Download and install Textractor (The one that looks like "Textractor-....-setup.exe" as of now): https://github.com/Artikash/Te...
3) Download and unzip steins gate textractor_x64: https://github.com/shiiion/ste...
4) Open and start the game (so that there's some text in the box at the bottom)
5) Launch steinsgatetextractor.exe (Through the same prefix you ran the game). The prompt, unlike on windows, won't say anything, except that it's looking for the game, but you still gotta type in "y" and then press "enter" to confirm you want to attach the game. At least it seems that's how it works for me.
6) Launch Textractor.exe (again in the same prefix)
7) Switch to "clipboard" at the top of textractor's main winodow.
Now, most text from the game should be copied to your clipboard and also be displayed in the textractor's clipboard thingy.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Ubuntu 21.04 "Hirsute" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 05 2021||6.14-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||tvvoty|
|Show||macOS 10.13 "High Sierra"||Aug 16 2018||3.13||N/A||Yes||Yes||Gold||FabulousCupcake|