* Installation; while the demo does install, the install process has an annoying freeze at the end (see what doesn't work)
* Starting the demo from the command line via "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Ubi Soft/Splinter Cell Demo/system$ wine SplinterCell.exe" without quotes (since no desktop shortcut icon was placed on my desktop)
* Splash screen
* Brief animation of company name, with sound
* Brief video trailer showing the game demo's character and a few actions, with sound
* Menu with options; creating a new profile, starting the first mission which goes to the loading screen which shows correctly up until the user clicks the mouse button when it prompts to press fire to continue (which would normally go to the first mission's start but instead exits with error; see what doesn't work)
What does not
~ Installation exiting following install; Once the installation is done, the user only has to click on the Finish button for it to exit, but this doesn't happen, instead, a small terminal like window pops up several times in the background before stopping this action and the install window remaining frozen in the middle of the screen, not able to be moved or alt-tab to any of the other related WINE windows for this application's installation. Running "killall wineserver", "killall Explorer.exe", "killall IKernel.exe" and killall for the setup's .exe (without quotes) didn't close these windows so I pressed CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to log out and log back in. When I logged back into KDE 3.5.4, I noticed in KSysGuard that there were three tasks running which were related to the attempt to run this demo. The first was blank without any words, the second was under this blank listing which was "regsetup.exe" followed by "register.exe" both of these nested beneath the blank entry in the "Name" column of KSysGuard.I noticed that they pointed to the following files in the Command area of KSysGuard: "c:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Splinter Cell Demo\Support\register\regsetup.exe" and "c:\Program Files\Ubi Soft\Register\register.exe" without quotes. I killed these tasks within KSysGuard but further at the bottom of the KSysGuard list was "regsetup.exe" with "register.exe" nested beneath it again! so I killed those tasks too.
~ Playing the game; following creating a new profile in the in-game menu so the first mission of the demo may begin, a loading screen appears, when you mouse click to continue past the loading screen when it prompts you to the demo exits to an error window which reads (with a lot more errors displayed at the command line but not included in this report):
"General protection fault!
History: FD3DRenderInterface::SetMaterial <- RenderBspSurface <- RenderLevel <- FLevelSceneNode::Render <- FCameraSceneNode::Render <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop"
The above mentioned window had an option to send a bug report but I declined and copied the text to include here.
~ Uninstall via "wine uninstaller" without quotes fails with two error message dialog windows; removed installed files and directories manually
What was not tested
- Gameplay; demo exits with errors prior to any gameplay
- Video modes other than 640x480 and 1024x768
- Changing and applying settings other than the 2 video modes mentioned above
Runs so far as menus are concerned, playing the game doesn't work
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||CentOS 6.5||Jul 20 2014||1.7.22||Yes||No||Garbage||Maik Wagner|
|Show||Fedora 7||Sep 07 2007||0.9.44.||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Martin J rgens|
|Show||Ubuntu 6.10 "Edgy" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Feb 23 2007||0.9.31.||No||Not installable||Garbage||Gerry Cherry|
|Show||Fedora Core 6||Nov 05 2006||0.9.24.||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Rakosi Gergely|
|Current||Ubuntu 6.06 "Dapper" i386 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 29 2006||0.9.20.||Yes||Yes||Garbage||Gerry Cherry|
For Windows and Linux systems who have newer video cards:
The shadow placements may be incorrect â€“ Spot light beams may not appear, flash light beams may not appear, ceiling light beams may not appear.
To fix this do the following: