Counter-Strike: Source is the latest release of Counter-Strike, the planet's most popular squad-based Tactical Action FPS, where players co-operate as part of a team to achieve objectives.
When adding test results please specify video card and driver version you are using.
* Works regular/good (5,6/10) with mat_dxlevel 70 and 90. Average of 30fps.
* Works sound test
* Works options and changing settings how as resolution, game quality and other parameters
* Works server browser
* Works local server with bots
* -console parameter works and open the in-game console
What does not
* With mat_dxlevel 80 runs but the Game still reading the hard disk about 10 minuts and Steam process is got stopped by not enough memory (linux kernel kill the process).
* Steam Friends does not run
* Game crashes when I try to search a server if Xfire is running, also with Xfire in-game chat disabled.
* Low fps comparated with Windows.
* With mat_dxlevel 90 there are shiny models.
* With the -dxlevel 70 launch parameter, the screen becomes to a "out of range" for the monitor (maybe a X server problem)
* Sometimes some textures become black.
What was not tested
Nothing I think :P
I have rated the game silver because the game not works really excellent, works good/regular
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Manjaro Linux 20.2||Jan 14 2021||5.22||Yes||No||No||Garbage||Adel Khial|
|Show||Ubuntu 17.04 "Zesty" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Jul 15 2017||2.12||Yes||Yes||Platinum||TheStraight|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||May 26 2016||1.9.10||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Ash Carvin|
|Show||Ubuntu 15.04 "Vivid" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 09 2016||1.9.7||N/A||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Show||Ubuntu 15.04 "Vivid" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 09 2016||1.6.2||N/A||Yes||Gold||an anonymous user|
|Bug #||Description||Status||Resolution||Other apps affected|
|5159||Microphone xmit in Half Life and HL:S games very harsh and goes in and out of "focus"||REOPENED||View|
|6095||MOTD in counter-strike 1.6 does not render||REOPENED||View|
|24684||Multiple Source engine based games (Steam): out-of-order rendering, bloom effect and lights are visible through walls when multicore rendering is enabled||NEW||View|
All things going well, this game will work in current versions of wine (wine-1.0.1 and up) if you:
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam && WINEDEBUG=-all wine steam -applaunch 240
Note: Your path might differ, depending on language and installation directory. This is default for English install.
Note2: Additional command line options go after-applaunch * not before. Ex: -applaunch 240 -dxlevel 80 -console
For better graphics quality you might want to use -dxlevel 90 command option and enable GLSL shaders via registry (save this to a "file.reg" then import with 'wine regedit file.reg'):
Note: GLSL is enabled by default as of wine-0.9.49
For better performance use -dxlevel 80 or even 70 and the following game settings:
cl_drawmonitors 0 r_WaterDrawRefraction 0 r_WaterDrawReflection 0Also you can disable GLSL.
(i) In the past Steam updates have been followed by serious errors running CS:S (or even just steam), including serious lockups. When running after an update, be sure that you're ready to switch to another tty at the first sign of trouble - preferably having a "wineserver -k" sitting ready in it just in case. Just a thought.
(ii) Sound latency issues (skipping, popping as everything struggles to keep up) - most notably sudden lag during firefights can sometimes be cleared up by running "soundlist" in the CS:S console. This is a more general CS:S issue, nothing to do with wine.
If you have other good resource (at least as good as ones above) send vitamin a message with the link.