Installation How To: Demo Version
2015-01-31 Admin note: the instructions below are extremely old and may not apply to current Wine. Follow at your own risk.
This guide is written using Wine version 0.9.40.
- Install Wine
- Configure Wine. I tested using the ALSA driver.
- Download the demo, then save the file to disk, for example to
- Run the demo's installer. In a terminal enter
- When an install window appears, click "Unzip", then wait the the installaiton to finish. When the demo is done installing it automatically starts the game.
- In a terminal enter
echo "seta in_mouse -1" >> "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EA GAMES/American McGee's Alice Demo/demo/config.cfg"
This will disable use of "Direct Input" for mouse events, which allows the game know the absolute position of the mouse, which avoids a wine bug. If you skip this step, depending on your Wine version, Alice won't be able to turn clockwise or counter-clockwise more than one rotation (360Â°). For example, Alice wouldn't be able to circle strafe. Or, the game won't know the positon of the mouse and will, for example, leave the mouse pointing to the middle of the screen even if you keep moving the mouse to the right. This is very noticeable when the game starts and you try to move the mouse around the main menu screen.
- Run the game. One at a time, enter in a terminal each of the below commands, until one of them runs the game successfully. In the future, to start the game again, re-run the command that worked.
cd "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EA GAMES/American McGee's Alice Demo/" && wine "alice.exe"
As of Wine version 0.9.40, the first time you run this command, Wine might try many different video modes. The video mode scan takes up to 7 minutes, during which time your display will go black and flicker often.
xrandr -s 640x480 ; cd "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EA GAMES/American McGee's Alice Demo/" && wine "alice.exe" '+set r_mode 3'
Once the game has started, you can use change the game's display resolution. In the game's main menu click "Settings", then click "Video (1)", then click the left or right arrows under "Resolution" to set the new game resolution. When done click the "Apply" button.
cd "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/EA GAMES/American McGee's Alice Demo/" && wine explorer /desktop=Alice,1024x768 "alice.exe"
If you use this command, you may wish to configure your window manager to not put boarders on the window so the game can use your entire screen. Note: you may have to change "1024x768" to whichever resolution you wish to play the game. To find your current display resolution, enter in a terminal
xdpyinfo | grep 'dimensions:'
- If you trouble with sound, configure Wine to use the OSS driver.
- Optional: If you have a wide screen display, follow the instructions at this link.
(The following info was extracted from a user comment made in January, 2014.)
If you wish to use a native widescreen resolution you can follow these steps suggested by MarcusRaven
1. Enable the console in the Game Options menu.
2. Open said console.
3. Type the following commands, pressing enter after each one:
seta r_customwidth #
seta r_custonheight #
seta r_mode -1
The game will remember the custom resolution so you only have to do it once.