Before the game runs flawlessly, a few settings in the 'Options' -> 'Graphics' screen have to be changed:
- 'Haze effect' has to be set to 'no'
- 'Shadow type' has to be set to 'off'
- Dropping 'Z-Buffer Depth' from 32 to 24 increased performance significantly on my system.
All the essential functionality works: menus, single player, multiplayer (demo
servers), replays, tuning the car, game physics visualizations, custom engine sounds.
Performance is decent, a rough estimation is 3/4 that of running under
Windows. However, starting the game is instantaneous, and track load times areseveral times faster!
What does not
- "Unlocking", that is, phoning "home" to the LFS servers and confirming your registration. Attempts result in a vague "Unlocking error" dialog box. (GRRR, darn copy protections always get in the way!)
- Enabling the 'haze effect' results in the track becoming transparent. Cars, skid marks and shadows are still drawn.
- Enabling car shadows results in a big dark box around the car, inside which is a light, smaller bounding box of the car. The shadow drawn into the smaller box looks OK.
- Ending single player games (returning to the menu) sometimes freezes the entire X11 server; possibly related to fglrx drivers.
- Sounds have a somewhat annoying ~500ms delay, so if you change gears by the rev sound, you will always be a bit late.
- Turbo sounds are almost unaudible on the XRT.
- Some very trivial and obscure graphics glitches. For example, when switching to another window while LFS still visible, the rear-view mirror starts showing weird things.
What was not tested
- Joystick/wheel/other game controllers.
- Registered LFS S1 and S2 cars and tracks.
- Connecting other clients to a LFS server running under Wine.
- Stand-alone (headless) LFS server.