The CD version is 1.1
The latest patch from Rowan is 1.23
Rowan released the source code of this game to the public. After that, a group of volunteer developers produced an additional patch, BDG patch 0.85F
What does not
Campaign does not work, because some of the menu icons are missing. Since the source code for Mig Alley is available, perhaps a developer can fix this.
1. If no text appears, delete the file (wine prefix)/drive_c/windows/Fonts/Intel.ttf
2. If the Mig Alley 3D view is blank, run winecfg and set these graphics settings: emulate a virtual desktop, desktop size 1024x768. Try changing the desktop size in winecfg until the 3D view works.
3. if the game fails to start, check to see if there is a mfc42.dll file in the (wine prefix)/rowan/mig directory. If so, delete it.
What was not tested
1. check that you are using the best graphics driver for your graphics card.
2. download Mig Alley, e.g. from https://www.myabandonware.com/... and create a bootable CD.
3. download the Rowan MIG123.exe patch, e.g. from https://www.fileplanet.com/arc...
4. download the BDG 0.85F patch if you can find it, it adds a few features. You might follow these links: http://flightsimulators.atspac...
5. Load the CD, navigate to the CD drive and run setup via; wine setup.EXE. Click through the install screens as you would with MS Windows.
6. install the 123 patch via: wine MIG123.EXE
7. if you have it, install the BDG patch via: wine BDG_MiGAlley_0.85F.exe
8. add components using winetricks:
9. if the file mfc42.dll exists in the (wine prefix)/rowan/mig directory, delete it.
10. By default Mig Alley reads the intro video from the CD and fails if the CD is not mounted. To run without the CD, edit roots.dir in the (wine prefix)/rowan/mig directory. Replace paths referencing the CD in line 3 and 13 of this file with the line "C:\rowan\mig". All paths in roots.dir should be set to "C:\rowan\mig"
11. Copy the smacker folder from the CD to (wine prefix)/rowan/mig
12. Delete the file (wine prefix)/drive_c/windows/Fonts/Intel.ttf
13. Run winecfg. Set these graphics settings: emulate a virtual desktop, desktop size 1024x768. Although the windows version setting may not matter, set the windows version to Windows 7.
14. plug in your joystick. Mig Alley autodetects my Logitech Extreme 3D pro joystick.
15. run mig alley via: wine Mig.exe -NOINTRO
16. chose preferences and pick the settings you want.
Tested using Intel Core-i7-3777 with Nvidea GeForce GT 630, nvidia-driver-415 proprietary driver
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" amd64 (+variants like Kubuntu)||Feb 14 2019||4.0||Yes||Yes||Yes||Silver||John Evans|