When this classic racing simulation was released in 1998, it came with one set of cars and 11 historical race tracks. Thanks to years of work by community volunteers all over the world, about a dozen sets of cars now are available for Grand Prix Legends along with more than 500 tracks.
Most online Grand Prix Legends races use the community-generated cars and racetracks, not the original cars and tracks. The free-to-download GEM+ utility adds this community content to a Grand Prix Legends (GPL) installation. Thus to race GPL online, you need GEM+.
Grand Prix Legends, patched to version 220.127.116.11, has a Platinum rating on linux. Fortunately, GEM+ also runs on linux. Thus any community-created cars and racetracks can be added to a linux GPL installation.
Version 18.104.22.168 of GPL and version 2.5.32 of GEM+ were tested.
A fully patched free version (based on the free Grand Prix Legends demo) is available at this link:
To install on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, simply download and unpack the tar file from the github page.
All GEM+ functionality works after the install workaround is used. GEM+ works the same in Windows and linux.
What does not
GEM+ aborts when you first try to run it, but this can be fixed. See the workaround section below.
To get GEM+ running it is necessary to install vcrun2015 and delete the GEM.ini file.
The steps to install GPL and GEM+ are:
1. Put your Grand Prix Legends CD in the CD tray. Do not install GPL from the CD.
2. Follow the instructions at the URL
to download gplinstall_beta_1.08.exe and GEMPackage22.214.171.124.exe
3. wine gplinstall_beta_1.08.exe
This will install GPL version 126.96.36.199. This is all you need to run the original GPL on linux.
4. If you want to join online GPL races, or use the new cars and tracks, you will need to install GEM+.
5. First, add vcrun2015 to your wine container:
6. Next, install GEM+
7. Before running GEM+ for the first time, delete the configuration file $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/GPLSecrets/GEM+/GEM.ini
8. Follow the instructions at the URLs below to download cars and tracks using GEM+:
9. Select the iGOR icon to race Grand Prix Legends online.
What was not tested
All functionality was tested.
To install on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, simply download and unpack the tar file at this link:
The version at this link is patched to include 80 additional cars and 30 tracks created by community volunteers.
Note that this version is free, as it is built from the free Grand Prix Legends demo.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Nov 19 2020||5.0.3||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||Greg Tung|
Prior to running Grand Prix Legends, configure the display as follows:
1. set your display resolution in linux to the maximum available
2. execute the command
in the Graphics tab, enable virtual desktop and set the resolution to the maximum value, the same value as in step 1.
3. Click on the GEM+/GPL option or click directly on a GPL desktop icons to start Grand Prix Legends
4. In the options screen, set the Grand Prix Legends (GPL) display setting to be lower resolution than in steps 1 and 2 above, such that GPL runs in a window.
5. If during a game, GPL becomes unresponsive to keyboard commands such as <ESC>, <F10> or <SHIFT> R,
set the keyboard focus to the GPL window. In Ubuntu 18.04 linux, this is done via the command <ALT> F6. Now keyboard commands should work again. (Note that you can always start a new terminal, run top, and kill the GPL process, but you shouldn't need to do this.)
1. locate the iGOR.ini file. It is in $WINEPREFIX/drive_c/GPL
2. edit iGOR.ini
Edit the line after [ RaceListServers ]
IP = igor.gplrank.info
4. start GEM+ and select the iGOR button on the lower right
The currently available online races will be displayed by iGOR. Races for which you have the carset and track installed will display with a green icon. Click on one of these to race online. Drive carefully and be considerate of the other drivers!