- Installed the game from the retail disc, not installing Divx 5.11 codecs or GameSpy Arcade. Opted to have a shortcut placed on the desktop. After the installation had completed, DirectX 9.0 tried to install, which I canceled.
- In the second mission (where you have to protect all transports) there may have been a bit of a glitch where the game ends before the last transport had undocked, and so the Mothership was still announcing those events - no major problems...but I may not have gotten my elite interceptors :(
- In the skirmish game I noticed a small graphical artifact consisting of a line of black dots (texture tearing?), however it is barely noticeable though it does vary as you rotate the camera. This problem is most likely related specifically to my hardware (obsolete drivers, perhaps :P).
What does not
- With regards to the focus command, if you try using the right mouse button instead of the left (Alt + Right Mouse click), the desktop context menu appears through the game (the menu that appears if you right click on your desktop's wallpaper). This doesn't affect the game at all, and the menu can be closed by left clicking anywhere else.
- If you really hate seeing the developer/publisher logo videos then just delete/rename the "combined512x512x30HzNS.avi" file found Sierra/Homeworld2/Data/Animatics.
- When trying to host/join a multiplayer game (LAN or TCP/IP) the game gives the following error "Network unavailable". Perhaps WINE cannot map the games' network/multiplayer subsytems properly.
What was not tested
- I didn't have to add the -nopbuffer flag to get the game to run. - All desktop effects (compiz?) were disabled. - Upon startup, Homeworld2 notifies me of having "obsolete" graphics drivers for my ATI FireGL V5200, but I've had no problems so far ----> Small graphical glitches, barely noticeable as I said. - And why doesn't this field allow HTML tags for editing like the previous fields?
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Gentoo Linux x86_64||Jan 02 2021||5.22||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||William J May|
|Show||Arch Linux||Mar 14 2017||2.3||Yes||Yes||Gold||Sandwichmaker|
|Show||Debian GNU/Linux Unstable "Sid" x86_64||Nov 03 2013||1.7.5||Yes||Yes||Gold||Sixsixfive|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Jan 21 2013||1.5.22||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Philipp|
|Show||Arch Linux x86_64||Jan 14 2013||1.5.21||Yes||Yes||Platinum||Philipp|
Using FBO as the ORM crashes with fglrx drivers
This is not a Wine bug, it is a fglrx bug. Please do not open a bug for this, it will just be closed.
See the fglrx bug for more details, or check the HOWTO for this app for a workaround.
-nosound, runs the game without sound. Useful if you have sound problems
-w XXXX -h YYYY, sets the resolution to XXXXxYYYY
-windowed, runs homeworld in a window(for window decoration you have to use a virtual desktop
-hardwareCursor, enables the hardware cursor
-ssnologo, disables the relic logo on screenshots
-nomovies, disables all movies
-novideoerrors, disables graphic errors(popup your video card is too old...
-noS3TC, disables S3 texture compression
-nopbuffer, disables pixel buffer
-novbo, disables vertex buffer objects
-noDisplayLists, disables display lists
RelicNews Technical HelpÂ
(more detailed info about the switches)
HW 1.0: open winecfg, go to "Drives", click on "Autodetect...", mount your CD and retry
HW 1.1: make sure that you use a nocd-patch
2.) No Story and Subtitles in Cutscenes (European Version)
HW 1.1: replace your language file under your Homeworld2/Data folder with one of these.
3.) Multiplayer/Gamespy Lobby says wrong CD-Key?
@all: try reinstall in a clean WINEPREFIX(maybe you have/had the demo installed?)
@all: or you have HW2 installed with a different WINEPREFIX(serial is stored in registry)
4.) Network not available?
@all: Gamespy lobby does not work
5.) HW2 crashes
@all: try the -nopbuffer switch
@all: do not enable oss in winecfg
6.) Widescreen Monitor and Hidden Buttons
@all: use the resolution commandline switch eg. Homeworld2.exe -w 1280 -h 960
@nvidia-users: you can set this over the ÂOpenGL Environment VariablesÂ
@all other: enable FSAA in your xorg-config
8.) When patching the game to 1.1 the patch program hangs when writing EULA.txt.
@all:You have to kill before it hangs(i.e. with the xkill command on a console, and then click on the window). The window with the problem is a installer that pops when patching, if you kill that window, the patcher works as spected
9.) Objects and units are not rendered properly
@all: try the -novbo switch
1.) Install HW2 eg:(make sure that you use a clean wineprefix)
WINEPREFIX=$YOURCHOSENHW2FOLDER wine $PATHTOCD/HW2_Setup.exe
2.) Download the latest patch and install them eg:(1.0 works only without pixel buffer support=slower/but copy protection works...)
WINEPREFIX=$YOURCHOSENHW2FOLDER wine $PATHTOPATCH/$PATCHEXE
3.) The Securom2(introduced in 1.1) protection currently does not work in wine so you need a NoCD-Patch.(You can find them on GCW, you don't need this for 1.0)
4.) The best way to start Homeworld is a little shellscript eg:Â
#!/bin/sh cd $YOURCHOSENHW2FOLDER/drive_c/Sierra/Homeworld2/Bin/Release WINEPREFIX=$YOURCHOSENHW2FOLDER wine Homeworld2.exe -w 1280 -h 800