Nearly everything. Game plays wonderfully well. Bluetooth joystick automatically detected and works (with rumble, even).
What does not
- Cannot change resolution above 640x480 as Wine will crash when switching resolution. (Note that menus are always 640x480, so the crash will not happen until you start playing.)
- The camera falls progressively further behind the craft if it is set to the "Standard View". The fix is to change the camera to "Front View" (Home key) or "Close View" (F1). Note that this bug may affect Windows as well given comments online.
- Leave the resolution at 640x480 or use nGlide which does not crash. Note that after installing nGlide, you'll need to update the registry like so
wine reg.exe add 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC\Rogue Squadron\v1.0' /v 'VDEVICE' /t 'REG_SZ' /d 'Voodoo (Glide)' /f
- Press HOME at the beginning of each level to get a camera which will not fall behind. If you use a gamepad, map one of the keys to "Camera Look Front" in the Joystick Settings to do the same thing.
What was not tested
Played several levels but did not complete game, yet.
- GPU: Intel
- Driver: open source
- Also tested with Wine Stable 4.0.1 and it seemed to work almost the same except my joystick wasn't detected.
- When you purchase the game from GOG.com, the webpage may show a warning that "This game is incompatible with your Linux". Ignore the spurious warning. Also, I suspect GOG Galaxy would not work. I used the direct download link and ran the setup EXE file within wine.
- If the Wine Mono Installer pops up and offers to install Mono, just hit cancel. It doesn't matter if you install it, but it's not needed.
- If you have an XBOX or Playstation controller, you'll need to remap the buttons to work in a reasonable way. Here are the settings I used which should feel mostly comfortable if you used "Luke's Controller" in the Nintendo 64 version:
- Primary Weapon: Fire button Left
- Secondary Weapon: Fire button Up
- Link Weapons: Start
- Thrust: Fire button Down
- Brake: L1
- Left brake: L2
- Right brake: R2
- Roll: R1
- Cycle camera: Select
- Drop camera: --- [unset]
- Rotate camera: ---
- Camera look front: D-pad up
- Camera look back: D-pad down
- Camera look left: D-pad left
- Camera look right: D-pad right
- Special Action: Fire button Right
- [Axis settings same as default, except Camera Pan unset]