Based on Chromium.
I make a clean install on two different WINEPREFIX, one for plain wine and another to test on Lutris (to test some advanced settings on Extra Comments).
Require to install the Windows 7 version of Edge to avoid installation problems, since the Windows 10 would try to run the Windows Update that is not needed at all.
The big obstacle is the Browser requires DirectX 11 support, and WineD3D simply fail to deliver, making the browser impossible to use.
Using proprietary Nvidia drivers, the browser will simply deliver a black screen, or a corrupted screen, and the program can be closed using the taskbar menu.
What does not
The browser are unusable using plain Wine, since the program window will be black at last on computers using proprietary Nvidia drivers.
The browser are totally unusable unless install DXVK and a Lutris version of Wine containing the experimental patches to support child window rendering with Vulkan (Lutris 5.0). Once added manually the Lutris entry with the new WINEPREFIX made with plain Wine, and changed to Lutris Wine version, the browser actually runs. (See Extra Comments)
What was not tested
Since all real tests was made on Lutris, the section are left intensionally blank.
The browser are only playable using the patched Wine versions of Lutris (The stable 5.0 adds the child window rendering with Vulkan to mainstream versions), and enable DXVK.
With this settings the browser runs, although with some quirks, such as the address bar with Time New Roman fonts, or the inability to save downloads due to an obscure error permission.
What works on Lutris mode:
- Access Youtube and open videos, which run at full-screen without lag or audio distortions.
- Open PDF inside built-in PDF reader.
- Print to PDF file, which actually writes the file without problems, unlike normal downloads.
- Many favourites websites opens without great problems.
- Login to some sites.
- Configuring the browser.
Potential Issues using Lutris Mode:
- Opening several tabs with videos playing on another tabs may cause slight pauses (until two or three seconds), but resumes quickly.
- Some random lag when processing logins on some sites.
- Some minor font issues, fortunately purely aesthetic.
What not working:
- Some sites may cause the browser crash.
- Any download of any kind simply fail, due to the error:
"wine: Read access denied for device L"\\??\\Z:\\", FS volume label and serial are not available."
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Show||Debian 10.x "Buster"||Feb 18 2020||5.0-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Garbage||Nosferatu Arucard|
|Current||Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Feb 14 2020||5.0-staging||Yes||Yes||Yes||Garbage||Nosferatu Arucard|
|Show||Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco" amd64 (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Aug 17 2019||4.13-staging||Yes||Yes||No||Bronze||xiota|