Halo Single Player Version 3
Running the WinRar self-extractor works but it doesn't actually extract.
The game *can* be installed and run through workarounds
The game runs fine except having Gbuffer enabled (in the OpenSauce F7 menu) can tank FPS in some places.
What does not
- The WinRar executable does not actually extract.
- After attempting workarounds, attempting to install base Halo CE through the SPV3 installer causes n error message that says "cannot load PidGen.dll"
According to the Custom Edition page here on WineHQ, installing mfc42 through WineTricks gets the CE installer to work.
After that, the SPV3 installer works as intended.
- Running the game gives an error that says:
'Halo Fatal Error'
"We have detected that one of your Halo PC files is missing or corrupted. We recommend removing and reinstalling the game. (levels/ui/ui)"
- Saving settings in the launcher, after installing the game, doesn't actually commit any of the changes
- The OpenSauce menu in the game opens (F7) but most of the functions don't actually commit
- The game doesn't correctly remember save files and will only load you at the location at which you first started playing for the first time
Using 7zip (Wine) to extract the contents of the WinRar extractor supplies the contents but the SPV3 installer does not run.
Installing .NET 4.5 (or above?) through WineTricks , instead of using Mono, to the 32-bit Wine prefix I used got the SPV3 installer to run but displayed a completely black window. (Presumably because of DirectX?)
Using DXVK or installing DirectX 9c itself can make the installer viewable but it has visual issues where it can appear completely black when unfocused or unprovoked.
Getting the game to work without the "Halo Fatal Error" message requires that a DLL override for dinput8 be set to "Native then inbuilt."
Doing this, however, may cause the mouse to not work properly in the game but the game should launch properly.
The game has controller support, so the game *should* be playable with that assuming that it doesn't have to be enabled in the settings first.
What was not tested
I tested everything except EAX, which the the game supports according to the developers.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Dec 10 2019||4.21-staging||No, but has workaround||Yes||Yes||Bronze||Neko-san|