A direct 3d engine remake of first encounters, an improvement over the previous directx engine.
The game starts, able to interact with it, leave the planet and go exploring. So functionally everything works that I can see.
What does not
What was not tested
Actually doing everything gameplay wise, but tested that everything expected is working. Simple interface.
There are lots of errors in the console and crashes on exit, but probably so far the only way to actually play this game on Linux.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Ubuntu 19.10 "Eoan" (+ variants like Kubuntu)||Apr 26 2020||5.5-staging||N/A||Yes||No||Silver||Maquis196|
So this game is from 1995 and has multiple versions;
1. Original DOS - best played in PCEM, Dosbox with mixed results for the latter
2. JJFFE - original reversed engineered copy that used SDL, worked on Linux and Windows. Hard to find these copies and the Linux binary has same issues as Loki games, needs old libraries.
3. GLFFE - OpenGL improvement of JJFFE, will be tested on Linux soon
4. FFED3D - Direct 3D version of GLFFE that made some improvements. Version tested.
5. FFED3DAJ - The current "being worked on" version that has taken FFED3D and improved it further, with new textures and stability. Will be tested but currently not working