This is the Free Edition of the popular burning app, Alcohol 120%. It was released a part of Alcohol-Soft's 11th birthday. The software allows you to use up to two virtual drives (rather than 31 in the retail version), and has the ability to write to only one drive simultaneously. It also lacks copy protection options.
* Burning an MDS/MDF image
What does not
* Virtual drive functionality: "Loading Alcohol device drivers failed"
* For installing, run the installer with Windows 10 compatibility otherwise you get "Failed to initialise service, code 0" and installer aborts
* The installer will ask to reboot the PC, make sure to run `wineboot -r` otherwise starting the program will fail.
What was not tested
* Everything except burning an image
* I spent 6 hours trying to burn an MDS/MDF image any other way and ended up with 6 coasters. Emulating Alcohol 120% is the best way to burn such images. Even burning from a Windows VM in Virtualbox won't work because it doesn't support writing CD audio tracks (MDS format supports multiple tracks in a session for an image).
* You can download this particular version of Alcohol 120% here: http://www.filefacts.com/alcoh...
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Arch Linux x86_64||Dec 29 2021||7.0-rc1||Yes||Yes||Yes||Silver||Daniel Bedrenko|
|Show||Ubuntu 18.04 "Bionic" amd64 (+variants like Kubuntu)||Jan 21 2021||6.0||Yes||Yes||Yes||Gold||GMP79|