SuuntoLink for Suunto Ambit et Traverse watches (July 2023 update)
- Installing the app
- Initial launch of the app
- The watch devise is recognized
What does not
- We can't install the application by just starting the installer (workaround needed)
- The watch device is not recognized unless you do some manual patching
- The application crashes soon after the first launch
- We can't the application again, an error is shown. We must install it again to regain access
- Unable to connect to a suunto account to sync the watch
To install the app, you need :
- wine staging, otherwise the installer will told you that you must not start it as an admin
- a 32 bits wine prefix
sudo pacman -S wine-staging
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.suuntolink" WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot
For the app to run and recognize your device, you need to set the correct rights on linux HID device :
sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/openambitproject/openambit/master/src/libambit/libambit.rules -O /etc/udev/rules.d/libambit.rules
sudo udevadm control --reload-rules && sudo udevadm trigger
Then disable the use of SDL :
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.suuntolink" wine regedit
- Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WineBus] in the registry
- Add a new DWORD KEY called "Enable SDL" and let value to 00000000 (0).
Finally set the Windows version to 8.1, download and run the installer :
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.suuntolink" winetricks win81
wget -P ~/.suuntolink/drive_c/ https://suuntolink.static.movescount.com/Suuntolink_installer.exe
WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.suuntolink" wine ~/.wine/drive_c/Suuntolink_installer.exe
If your watch was connected when the app is installed, it is recognized on first launch.
What was not tested
Testing with other devices was not tested, also devise synchronization which requires login.
I havn't tested with installing some fresh new winetricks packages, but as far as I can tell corefonts and dotnet452, required by v4.0.2, are not required anymore as installing them will result in the same behavior (and error messages).
Tested with a windows 11 environment but the result is worse: the watch is not detected at all.
|Operating system||Test date||Wine version||Installs?||Runs?||Used|
|Current||Arch Linux||Jul 06 2023||8.11-staging||Yes||No||Yes||Garbage||Sylvain B|